Dog barf for packing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missileman

Reaction score
I sometimes think up really silly ideas.
Here is one of them.
I get alot of rocket stuff shipped from vendors.
They are packed with newpaper, foam peanuts, bubblewrap ect...
HMMM why not pack them with something I can use, Dog Barf:D
It would protect my package just as well. It is inexpensive. And I would be happy to recycle it:D
Just another silly idea.

What 'ya bet...
I would think that the first vendor to do so... would suddenly get a few more orders...

I think it's a great idea...!!!

Excellent idea.

I've heard of a vendor doing this in the past...just can't remember who it was. I've ordered lots of rocket stuff, but never had "dog barf" packing.

This would be a major "perk" when ordering rockets.

John

That's a great idea! Anyway, the "dog barf" is cheaper than the styro peanuts, so count us in. I wish I had thought of it. We'll be packing 'em that way starting tomorrow.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

I believe Sandman has been doing just that for some time!!:)

I store rockets in Rubbermaid tubs with Dogbarf packing to protect them.

Originally posted by SwingWing
I believe Sandman has been doing just that for some time!!:)

Yes, the nose cone and transition for my Tres had 4 bags of dog barf packing material:)

its probably cheaper then those peanuts too, vendors should use dog barf instead.

Dog barf may be cheaper than foam peanuts, but it weighs more. That can really add to the shipping cost, especially if there's a lot of space to fill. Of course, if you use it for wadding it'll add a lot of weight to the rocket too.

For wadding, I like the biodegradeable peanuts that are made from starch. They're lighter than dog barf but probably a bit more expensive than even styrofoam peanuts. Styrofoam's not suited for wadding since it isn't biodegradeable and can be harmful to animals.

If you get any packages that contain foam peanuts, check to see if they turn mushy in water. If so, they are biodegradeable and you can use them for wadding.

BTW, I've taken to filling empty spaces in my larger payloads with wads of bubble wrap. In the event of a crash, it absorbes much of the force, thus increasing the chances that the camera or other payload components will survive.

(Ray, some good tips there!)

I have some older LOC Precision kits that are packed with dog barf.

Originally posted by missileman
I sometimes think up really silly ideas.
Here is one of them.
I get alot of rocket stuff shipped from vendors.
They are packed with newpaper, foam peanuts, bubblewrap ect...
HMMM why not pack them with something I can use, Dog Barf:D
It would protect my package just as well. It is inexpensive. And I would be happy to recycle it:D
Just another silly idea.
The downside is that the same amount of dog barf required to protect the shipment weighs more than the styro/biodegradable peanuts do.

Back