Dog Barf Care

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
Just picked up my first bag of Green Fiber and I was wondering how I should store it in regards to temperature. I know the stuff usually sits in attics, but should it be kept at room temperature for rocketry use?

As long as it doesn't get wet and mold you are good to go, after two years mine is still mostly stored in the original bale, and the rest in gallon zip-lock bags of which I take two to every launch. Cold and Hot have little effect on cellulose insulation.

I prefer to store it in my rockets, but I have too much. :D What Rich said.

You can break it down into gallon ZipLock bags and compress those to let the air to make it more dense. Just open at the launch and fluff. They make great padding to keep rockets from rattling around and getting hangar rash during transport also. I've also used them as pillows at the overnight launches. Wrap a parachute around them and they are pretty comfortable.

A few years ago a guy told a story about having some barf in a Ziploc bag. Somehow it got wet and started to get moldy. He was driving to or from a launch and had some pretty big rockets in his vehicle. He gets pulled over and the cop was a little more than a bit uneasy about the big rockets. The guy has nothing to hide so he explains about the hobby and the cop is looking at all the stuff... and then he sees the bag of green stuff. And that's when the guy really had some splainin' to do!

My family goes through a lot of large (warehouse store size) pretzel containers. I have several of them stuffed with DB, and the lids screwed on. Despite that, it still looks like I haven't touched my original bale, which is still int he plastic it came in. :)

My family goes through a lot of large (warehouse store size) pretzel containers. I have several of them stuffed with DB, and the lids screwed on. Despite that, it still looks like I haven't touched my original bale, which is still int he plastic it came in. :)

I use the same thing, large pretzel containers. I bought my bale somewhere between 2005 and 2007. I have about 1/2 left. I use it every launch in multiple 3" and 4" rockets and once in a while in a 6" rocket. I don't even count the smaller ones because they use so little. The 4" will usually end up with 8 - 10 handfuls between apogee and main, unless there is still some in there from the previous launch. The stuff is plentiful and cheap so I do NOT skimp on it. It also leaves less behind then the BP charges and helps absorb some of the BP residue.

Being in pretzel containers with lids, I've never had it get wet on me, but the name comes from the look of the wet chunks on the ground. I certainly wouldn't keep any wet stuff around.

Mine is stored in the garage. Since I live in the country and the garage has no doors, I also 'store' mice out there. I therefore store my barf in 5gal buckets with lids. I filled 4 buckets and gave away probably another bucket's worth. One of the buckets has a screw on lid (Gamma lid). It goes to launches and doubles as a butt scaffold when I need to park my butt.

I like to keep mine in an empty kitty-litter tub. Sealed, built in carry-handle, plenty to share.

I bought a broken bale a few years ago, and carry a gallon sized bag with my launches. That left me with three 2.5g ziplock bags that I tried to store, but after 2 years, I never used, so they had to go. Between nomex cloths and smarter use of charges, we can reduce the amount of dog barf needed?

Keep it safe from rodents. I had a bale I thought would last a lifetime, but a pack rat got into my storage shed and setup house in it. It turned into a nasty mess.

Back