Does this reload look safe to use

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotronex

Reaction score
I got this reload at a vendor at NYPOWER last week with the intent to use it for my Level 1. I knew the reload was older (April 27 2001) but I've heard that's not an issue with composites, but it wasn't until I got it home that I realized that the bag is damaged, and exposed to the air. Looking at the grains, 1 of them appears slightly swollen and oxidized, the other 2, in another baggie, appear "normal". Should I sit on this until I can get a replacement, or is this safe to use?IMG_20220602_113313957.jpg
One side
IMG_20220602_113330738.jpg
The other side
IMG_20220602_113444583_HDR.jpg

The grain in question is on the left, hard to see through the plastic, but I don't want to remove it before I speak with the vendor.
IMG_20220602_113505781.jpg

That doesn't look too bad, you can sand down the face of that grain if necessary to make it fit. A 20-year-old delay grain, on the other hand, is something you might not want to rely on.

Cut the bulging bits off with a sharp knife and drill our the core to the same diameter as the non affected grains or even slightly more. Use that grain at the aft end of the motor - you want that grain as far away from your igniter as possible as those old swollen grains are notoriously difficult to ignite. Just be cautious, those old swollen grains can be a bit sluggish with thrust so it's not recommended putting it in a heavy (marginal T:W) rocket although most of your grains are unaffected so it's probably okay.

TP

Thanks. I still think I'll try to exchange it with the vendor if I can, but if not, I've got a 3" School Rocket I want to use as a test bed for learning dual deploy, so I'll save it for that so I don't need the delay.

Thanks. I still think I'll try to exchange it with the vendor if I can, but if not, I've got a 3" School Rocket I want to use as a test bed for learning dual deploy, so I'll save it for that so I don't need the delay.
Hello,
please remember to choose a plugged closure. If the retarding grain burns faster than the main grain, the motor will burn upwards during operation. I've experienced this a few times now when I've used such old reloads.
That's why I only use pluggt Closer.

Hello,
please remember to choose a plugged closure. If the retarding grain burns faster than the main grain, the motor will burn upwards during operation. I've experienced this a few times now when I've used such old reloads.
That's why I only use pluggt Closer.
Thanks, I'll have to get one of those for next year when I use it.

They sure did. Although Aerotech did respond that it shouldn't be an issue, so I'm not going really worry about it. I did end up getting a "fresh" reload for my L1 flight (great success), and still have the vintage one I'll use for duel deployment next year.

Cut the bulging bits off with a sharp knife and drill our the core to the same diameter as the non affected grains or even slightly more. Use that grain at the aft end of the motor - you want that grain as far away from your igniter as possible as those old swollen grains are notoriously difficult to ignite. Just be cautious, those old swollen grains can be a bit sluggish with thrust so it's not recommended putting it in a heavy (marginal T:W) rocket although most of your grains are unaffected so it's probably okay.

TP
I know everyone knows, but don't use a high speed drill 🙃

Back