Does this look stable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Using your expert opinions, do you think this looks stable? Estes Bt-80. Plenty of nose weight, but I don't think the fins look big enough. 6 ft launch rod. Big motor. Should have lots of speed coming off the rod. Help me be lazy and not have to do this the real/proven to be safer way of putting it in rock sim or something. Thanks20221014_164216.jpg

Stable?
What about the lower end of the airframe that appears to have been chewed by rabid racoons?
How "plenty" of nose weight are we talking about here?

If in doubt w.r.t. stability, consider modeling the rocket out in OpenRocket:
https://openrocket.info/

Nose weight makes cg about one caliper into the blue from the red-blue zone. You're not too far off about the fin section. I've never tried Open Rocket, thanks I'll have to check it out.

You have a launch lug up there by the nose, but not down by the fins. I like to have my launch lug or lugs as far back as possible to take as much advantage of rod or rail length as possible.
Leaving the lug up there effectively cuts about 20 inches off your launch rod.

You have a launch lug up there by the nose, but not down by the fins. I like to have my launch lug or lugs as far back as possible to take as much advantage of rod or rail length as possible.
Leaving the lug up there effectively cuts about 20 inches off your launch rod.
That's actually a camera. Come to think of it, I don't think there are any launch lugs on there. I bet if I put some on it would help a bit.

Why not just do a swing test? Wrap some cord around the CG, and swing it around your head. If it flies nose first, it's stable enough.

Latest posts

Back