does this formula mean anything?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Selene

Roving Rocketeer
Reaction score
does anybody know if this is a real formula or just something the bumber sticker printer made up to look scientific?

These are real and are known as Maxwell's equations. These represent the basic laws of electromagnetism.

Dick, sometimes you give me the heebie-jeebies with the stuff you know. :D

some bumper stickers are hilarious
I couldn't tel you if thats a real equation

Originally posted by KermieD
Dick, sometimes you give me the heebie-jeebies with the stuff you know. :D

Hey, its been about 25 years since I used them, so I had to turn around and grab a book to double check!

The first two equations are fine, but the last two involve partial differential's on the right-hand-side.
The a/at don't quite make it.
So much for learning one's Physics from bumper stickers....

I'm gonna venture to say that it means "Get off my bumper!" or something like that in nerd-speak. :D:D

Jason

Originally posted by jwagner61
The first two equations are fine, but the last two involve partial differential's on the right-hand-side.
The a/at don't quite make it.
So much for learning one's Physics from bumper stickers....

These are the general form of the equations, although they can be expressed in other ways. Exactly out of the book if you count the i=j and a=the partial differential symbol. I know because I didn't remember the details (signs do matter, etc.) and grabbed the book.

Ack, am I a lousy typist spelling corrected...'partical differential'...this is fields, not particles!

I had two years of electromagnetics. Sadly I learned to like Mr. Maxwell and what he could do for me. I'll go retreat to my hobbit hole now.

Edward

What say we all get together and do a few Laplace and Fast Fourier Transforms to relax?

If we get bored, we can alwsys do some Finite Element Analysis...

I'll bring the slide rule:p

Don't worry, if he starts finite element analyis of anything useful with a slide rule, he'll be a while. This will allow heads to cool and/or stop spinning :) ...mumbling and foaming will also stop...

Back