Does Rocksim compute roll of the rocket or is it mainly for CP/CG stability computations.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterk03

Reaction score
I like taking video of the launch from the rocket. I strapped on a 2 oz rectangle camera onto the top of a Big Bertha at the top of the main body tube just below the nose cone. Would Rocksim calculate if it will spin as it accelerates ? Are you able to add a camera mass to test this? My rocket had a pretty good spin going. I am wondering if an object on the opposite side will balance it out weight wise and stop the spin or adding a non camera cardboard shape the mass size of the camera to put airflow drag on the opposite side to balance it? It flew real straight up and stable but spun like crazy with about 8mph wind. I am new with rocksim and just leaning how to add tubes and masses but its a slow process.
Thanks
Sterk03

Launch without the camera shroud and watch for spin. I like painting one fin a different color just to watch spin.
Any time a rocket spins is typically due to canted fins not a camera shroud.

OR has a fin cant angle option and does have a 'Roll Rate' plot. I guess Rocsim has a similar option.

In Open Rocket there is a "Plot /Export" function? The amount of data is impressive. My Thunk! rocket has canted fins that induce roll. Using the "Plot /Export" function revealed the calculated rpm's for the entire flight.

There's also pitch and yaw rates, as well as a plethora of other data.

1660003954054.png1660003992052.png

Last edited:
I frequently strap a whole bunch of items to the outside of a rocket without impacting the roll rate. Check elsewhere (fin installation).

Thanks for all the info and yes on one rocket I missed a slightly warped balsa fin that had to be the issue. The other rocket still determining what the issue is. Thanks

Sterk03

Back