3D Printing Does PETG work for rocket fin sections (BT-55 tube)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael L

Random Pixel Generator
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I searched but I never found the right combination to get a good answer.
I have Prusament ASA but not in the color I want. I even have some Nylon / Carbon Fiber but it's (1) black and (2) may be above my skills to print with. I have PETG in the colors I want.

I'm worried about the heat from the motor ruining the part. I already printed some bases in PLA and I'll give them a try. That'll probably be how I figure out the PETG question

I have printed 29mm motor retainer. Have not had issues, but only with composites motors G and under. What size/motors are you looking at. i have several D powered rockets with all PETG fincans and have not had issues.

I should have included the Thingiverse link - Just search 685617. 28mm motors with an optional 18mm so D is probably it.

Lol, I just looked at your icon, photo, whatever it's called... The theme of my rocket builds is:

Red nose cone, white body, blue fins
and
Blue nose cone, white body, red fins

One for each grandson (and me)

I have the PLA version that I may try. Maybe just test on a stand or something. I doubt if it lasts

Yep, I have printed two of those fincan and two different nose cones. They turn out great. Petg will last a long time.

You wouldn't happen to have put the nose cone and fincan into Rocsim by chance? I've attached my first Rocsim file of this nose cone and fin can on an 18" BT55 tube. I'm not sure if I have it close, right, or worthy of burning in the fireplace on a cold night. Maybe this isn't the place for that. Idk

Attachments

• Purple Thing.rkt
    168.6 KB · Views: 4
I attempted printing out some PETG fins the other day and even with 80% infill, you’d swear they were printed in TPU. It was odd.

PETG is much more heat resistant than PLA. It's a little less rigid than PLA though. I've flown PETG fin cans on H motors to 3000 feet. Hoping to push even harder soon.

I attempted printing out some PETG fins the other day and even with 80% infill, you’d swear they were printed in TPU. It was odd.

My fin cans are designed to all be 100% plastic. I achieve this by setting the number of perimeters such that the fins end up being all plastic. The "can" wall thickness is controlled by selecting a thickness that is equal to a whole number of extrusion width.

PETG is fine. I have even used PLA. The problem with PLA is drooping from sun/ heat exposure in your car.

Back