Does Clustering Mid Powered Motors require HPR Cert?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wish to get my HPR Cert L1 soon. After reading countless papers,regulations, and rules, It seems like a HPR cert let's you buy high powered motors right? If you cluster mid powered motors, it would indefinably require a FAA permit due to the amount of permit, but it won't require a HPR Cert 2 to fly right? So for example (I AM NOT ATTEMPTING THIS JUST A EXAMPLE) Your clustering 6 G motors (Sounds like a horrible Idea, just using as a example), It is by law a High powered rocket, but it won't require you to have a HPR Cert 2 to purchase the motor right? The Cert just regards if your responsible to fly big motors, and the purchase of them If i read thing correctly. I am just curious

It depends. The line between MPR and HPR can be a bit complicated at times. If the rocket contains more than 125g of propellant, or weighs over 1500g, it is an FAA Class 2 rocket, which requires a waiver to be flown, and would also require a HPR certification to be flown at a NAR or TRA sanctioned event (or in any location where NFPA 1122 and 1127 are law). Also, if the rocket contains a single motor with over 160 N*sec of total impulse (H class or larger), or a combined total impulse across all the motors of over 320 N*sec, it is considered HPR by NAR, TRA, and the NFPA (so again, would require a cert to fly at a NAR or TRA sanctioned event, or anywhere NFPA 1122 and 1127 are law). Finally, if the motors (individually) have more than 80N of average thrust, or use a 'sparky' propellant, they are considered to be HPR by NAR/TRA and NFPA (so the same restrictions apply).

Your example of 6 G motors would definitely have more than 320 N*sec of total impulse, so it would require a HPR cert to fly at a NAR or TRA sanctioned event, and anywhere that NFPA 1122 and 1127 are law. Further, it would certainly have more than 125g of propellant (the lightest G motor I could find on thrustcurve has 39g of propellant, so 6 of them would have over 200g of propellant), and as such would be a Class 2 rocket requiring an FAA waiver to be flown.

However, a cluster of 3 of those same G motors (It's the Aerotech G74) would only have 117 grams of propellant and 248 N*sec of total impulse (and doesn't use a sparky propellant), so as long as the rocket weighed less than 1500g, it would be considered low power.

Ok Thanks! Yes it's a bit confusing. I was mostly wondering if it goes by propellant weight, impulse, or motor class. It seems like it depends on where, when, and who your dealing with

NFPA 1127 section 3.3.13.1(2) defines a high power rocket as containing an installed total impulse of greater than 320 N-sec.
Section 4.2 of the same document limits launching of high power rockets to certified users.

So rather then I guess a Cert is for purchase, and actual government or organization classing goes by impulse and propellant

Ok Thanks! Yes it's a bit confusing. I was mostly wondering if it goes by propellant weight, impulse, or motor class. It seems like it depends on where, when, and who your dealing with
Yeah, it really depends on what exactly you're dealing with - the FAA cares about weight (both propellant and overall) for Class 1 vs Class 2 rockets, while NAR, TRA, and the NFPA care about total impulse (tied to motor class), thrust, and the propellant formulation

Yeah, it really depends on what exactly you're dealing with - the FAA cares about weight (both propellant and overall) for Class 1 vs Class 2 rockets, while NAR, TRA, and the NFPA care about total impulse (tied to motor class), thrust, and the propellant formulation
Yes I think the best thing is to talk some more to my local rocket clubs and teams. I don't think it's a good Idea to attempt to deal with this myself

Yes I think the best thing is to talk some more to my local rocket clubs and teams. I don't think it's a good Idea to attempt to deal with this myself
Agreed. Always best to do these sorts of things at club launches - there will be people there who know the rules, and they probably have already dealt with the FAA requirements to get a waiver to launch Class 2 rockets.

Thanks for your help though! Yes I think laws are such a broad subject that vary between areas, and best to talk to the local rocketeers with the most experience

Latest posts

Back