Does anyone recognize this rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterk03

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a model of an actual Military Rocket and if so what the name of it is? Do you think it is a model kit made by one of the manufacture's or just a home made rocket model?
Thanks for your input.

Sterk03

Attachments

• IMG-7959.jpg
    IMG-7959.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-7960 (1).jpg
    IMG-7960 (1).jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2
A member of our club passed and so they were donated to our club. I was able to acquire several of this gentleman's rockets and he was known for great paint jobs and design and building. For some reason he put the decal on it so thought maybe it was a missile or testing missile.
Sterk03

You can tell if it is an FSI kit by the diameter of the motor mount. They had odd size motors, 21mm & 27mm. as well as the standard 18mm

a 1990 Intrepid it is. Whether its that model from 1990 or a clone as this gentleman could do it all from what I hear especially paint jobs. I looked at some of the photos on the gallery and plus the model manual that was posted and it sure looks exact. I will look at the numbers and see if mine match. The one item that is baffling to me no pun intended is the baffel seems up so high in the main body tube as very little room left for a parachute, I have noticed this on some other of his models as well. This rocket shows signs of a hard landing as there are some repair areas especially on the fins. I would like to find out what size chute works well with this rocket. Again thanks to all for your input I think you had it correct I would have never found that out so I appreciate the help. The pictures on the Gallery looked pretty neat.
Thanks,
Sterk03

a 1990 Intrepid it is. Whether its that model from 1990 or a clone as this gentleman could do it all from what I hear especially paint jobs. I looked at some of the photos on the gallery and plus the model manual that was posted and it sure looks exact. I will look at the numbers and see if mine match. The one item that is baffling to me no pun intended is the baffel seems up so high in the main body tube as very little room left for a parachute, I have noticed this on some other of his models as well. This rocket shows signs of a hard landing as there are some repair areas especially on the fins. I would like to find out what size chute works well with this rocket. Again thanks to all for your input I think you had it correct I would have never found that out so I appreciate the help. The pictures on the Gallery looked pretty neat.
Thanks,
Sterk03
I think he placed the baffles as far forward as practical to keep the CG as far forward as possible.
Have you measured the motor tube sizes yet? I hope he didn't build it stock or you may have trouble getting motors that fit.

No I will look at it today and check but why not put it in the upper nose cone? I see he drilled a hole pretty deep where I imagined he put some nose weight in but missing now. You’re saying the kit had wrong sizes originally or when people started to copy it?
Sterk03

You’re saying the kit had wrong sizes originally or when people started to copy it?
See post #10 by Rocket9005.
The FSI kits used their own18, 21, and 27 mm motors.
So a 24mm or 29 mm standard motor won't fit their motor tubes if it's built stock.
So either replace the motor tubes with standard ones if the builder had not already done so or look for old FSI motors (nearly unobtainium).
EDIT: Or make special adapters so you can fly an 18mm C or D in a 21mm motor tube or a 24mm motor in a 27mm tube. Wouldn't be that hard to do.

Last edited:
Here are the FSI Intrepid instructions:
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/fsi/fsi1032/FSI_Intrepid.pdfBuilt stock, it uses a central 27mm motor tube and two 21 mm pod tubes,
Can be flown as a single motor or 3 motor cluster.
So if yours is built stock easiest way to fly is to make a 24 to 27 mm adapter for the core motor tube and two 18 to 21 mm adapters for the side pods.
Hopefully the builder subbed standard tubing for the motor tubes instead.
Good luck.

Ok Just got around to measuring the motor tubes. Well you were correct they are the original sizes. I got 27 for the center and I got elipitcal for the side pods at 21/23 like they re warped or the paint sqeezed the ends out of center not sure but the only option there is to get an 18mm in the pods. I have a 29 to 24 adapter I slid inside the main tube and it will work great actually. Again I have no way of finding out anymore info on the original builder and his decision on the motors other then building according to the plan. I would like to fly it on one motor but again I need to check the weight on it as I'm sure his autobody paint jobs have added more weight to the model then planned. I'm just happy for all the info and thanks to those who replied with your responses, I'm sort of don't even want to fly it and just preserve it but since it has already got a few dings in it I will give it a go. It would not be professional but with the elliptical side motors which will be boosters 2 18mm motors with tape wrapped around them to fit snugly inside the tubes would also work. I will read through the instructions and get a total weight and cg and go from there. Many thanks for all info. I will get it ready and do a memory flight at the club for the owner.
Sterk03

The proof is in the pudding. I don't know why this did not dawn on me before this gentleman would make stands for the rockets out of an old rocket engine the same size and it might not have been the one he used but got the right diameter to hold it up. So I went to look at the stand I took it off of and sure enough its the F100 Motor.
Is this called a barn find when its a rocket not a classic car?
Sterk03

Attachments

• Intrepid Motor 2.jpg
    Intrepid Motor 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Intrepid Motor.jpg
    Intrepid Motor.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back