Does Anyone Here Do Origami?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
First of all, if so, pics!

Additionally, has anyone made a decent model rocket using the rules for it? (i.e. no cutting, starting with a square, no gluing, threading, etc.)
How did it fare?

It seems like an interesting concept (to me) to be able to print and cut out a bunch of fold patterns, store as a flat sheet, then assemble at the launch site without needing additional glue. Tape *might* be needed but as the motor will likely need to be taped in anyways, it will need to be available regardless.

I have done origami since I was eight. 44 years of experience :). Can only remember a few things now. Frog. Flapping bird. Maybe some others if I tried.

Never tried a rocket.

I can still do macrame as well :wink:

I've been known to fold some paper once in a while... Nothing really spectacular... Paper models though, I've gotten pretty good at those (including making a 1:1 scale osprey with brown trout). If you're in the neighborhood of Sherwood, Oregon, you can see it hanging in the nature reserve's gift shop.

Mtyhbusters proved the seven folds false but they used a warehouse size sheet of paper and a fork lift

I used to do the standards, bird, crane, seal, owl.
Since I started doing rocket helicopters, pyramidal (3 sided and 4 sided) nose cones are quite easy to fold and they work great. NewWay space models has some cool designs, although the square body tubes are quite a bit thicker than comparable Estes tubes of similar diameter (that can be good or bad, extra weight but extra tough.)

Opening up your scratch builds to polygonal as opposed to cylindrical tubes and pyramidal nose cones gives you lots of options. Granted you won't get the altitude of cone and cylinder rockets, but much easier to make your own tubes and pyramidal "cones" at much lower cost

I did. I had a room mate that did it too, a lot!! She had a great book, that went into some of the math to get certain shapes. There was a whole section on [# of sides]-adons. That was a cool part of the book..

I tried an origami armadillo from a dollar bill. Between my wife and I we got through it although the result doesn't look quite right.

I think someone who is good at origami should try a rocket. Some flying saucer like thing might be a starting point. Maybe Micro-Max or 13mm to start.

Little to none really. But I did find this little jewel this morning in an image search. Thought it might make for a nice avatar.
origami-rocket-3d.jpg

Back