Does anyone “lubricate” their couplers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
My first time flying a G12 cone w/coupler inside a G12 airframe and even though the coupler slides freely and can literally spin inside the tube without any slop, I can’t help but notice that every once in a while it might bind when I remove the nose cockeyed. I suspect this is a non-issue once that tube is pressurized, but it can’t hurt to ask.

If by lubricate you mean adding grease or something similar, no- I've never seen someone do this. To me, the grease would just attract dirt and make the situation potentially worse.

What you're referring to is normal with FG rockets- it doesn't have a lot of give, so sometimes removing a slightly cockeyed coupler takes a bit of wiggling.

Yeah, a grease sounds like a mess. Maybe chamfer the edge to get an easier start into the tube and wet sand / polish any rough spots with a super fine sand paper. Some time an end piece of tubing can be extra tight - you might get a better fit on the other side (if it isn't slotted yet).

I don't personally but I know a few flyers who use a little baby powder to help them slip better.

I have seen, and used myself, bar soap to lube couplers. The cheap dry, crumbly soap from hotels is better than good stuff.
Kosdon was the only one I recall using grease, but he used o-rings on his nose cones.

M

If by lubricate you mean adding grease or something similar, no- I've never seen someone do this. To me, the grease would just attract dirt and make the situation potentially worse.

What you're referring to is normal with FG rockets- it doesn't have a lot of give, so sometimes removing a slightly cockeyed coupler takes a bit of wiggling.

No grease, that would be a mess. Something more along the lines of a dry lube is what I had in mind, but frankly I don't think it wound help much for the reason you explain.

I take it when the ejection charge pressurizes the tube, the forces are equalized, and the coupler can do nothing by align itself and come out.

I suppose Teflon "Dri-Lube" spray would be beneficial for that.
It would not attract contaminates that would bind the surfaces.
I have no experience with the material or particualar rocket in question however, so that is only an idea based on experience with other items and materials.

[video=youtube;V8BAV_74Ryw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BAV_74Ryw[/video]

One thing that sometimes gets me is when I screw the bulkheads onto the coupler ends, one of them will be a hair off center. Then it doesn't fit. So what I do now is leave the nuts a little loose when I slide it in, then tighten them after it's in.

Yes, I know you all can have a field day with "leave the nuts a little loose when I slide it in," but let's move on, eh? :)

Non-issue. Most of my fiberglass couplers and nose cone shoulders are a little loose and can cockeye when inserted or removed off angle. I use several strips of tape to tighten up the fit. Never had any issues with them coming apart when I wanted them to in flight.

Yes, I know you all can have a field day with "leave the nuts a little loose when I slide it in," but let's move on, eh? :)

That made my morning.

More on-topic, I keep baby powder in my range box for days when couplers seem a bit sticky. And for plastic chutes on low power rockets, but that's another topic.

I suppose Teflon "Dri-Lube" spray would be beneficial for that.
It would not attract contaminates that would bind the surfaces.
I have no experience with the material or particualar rocket in question however, so that is only an idea based on experience with other items and materials.

[video=youtube;V8BAV_74Ryw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BAV_74Ryw[/video]

Ooooooooo! Nice. I see lube on 1010 and 1515 launch rails too...

Yes, Quite a few of my birds have burnished in powdered graphite on the mating surfaces.

I borrowed some graphite from FizzWilly for my Vindicator DD and even my UDS and it made a huge difference in getting those tight couplers to slide..

Thanks FuzzWorley !

Kenny

I borrowed some graphite from FizzWilly for my Vindicator DD and even my UDS and it made a huge difference in getting those tight couplers to slide..

Thanks FuzzWorley !

Kenny

I've tried that graphite powder thing. Maybe it's me, but boy what a mess!

Silicone spray works good on my couplers. inside of my sealed avbays where o-rings must seal and must slide in i use a bit of specialized o-ring grease- it takes very little. Should i get dust inside a pull through of a rag wipes it plenty clean. The lubricants make quite a difference in both cases between stock dry verses lubricated surfaces. One word of caution- don't plan on gluing anything you got those lubricants on- tough to truly remove!🤔

Last edited:
Back