Doctor Who

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool,they're all good but David Tennant is probably the best of new Who.But to get the most out of it you need to go and revisit the classic episodes.I started out with the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison sometime in the early 80's.But now that I've seen them all it's time to start back up with Chris Eccleston and get caught up to the present time.Don't forget to watch The Stolen Earth/Journey's End.Fantastic episode, one of the very best.

I became aware of Tom Baker’s Doctor first back in the day. Then rebroadcasts of the Jon Pertwee version on PBS in Philly. I’ve been an occasional fan ever since. For favorite episode I’ll go with “Blink”, the one with very little Doctor. :)

The Deadly Assassin. Introduced the Matrix. Brought back the Master. Borrowed from The Most Dangerous Game. And was genuinely creepy and exciting (at least by the dated standard of classic Who). I think it was also the episode that inspired a short lived ban Doctor Who movement. Tom Baker at his best!

Wish they still had it on PBS in Tampa. I used to watch it all the time - Tom Baker era. Even went to a Dr. Who convention. Those fans really know their "Who" stuff.
TARDIS - It's bigger on the inside than the outside.

The Deadly Assassin. Introduced the Matrix. Brought back the Master. Borrowed from The Most Dangerous Game. And was genuinely creepy and exciting (at least by the dated standard of classic Who). I think it was also the episode that inspired a short lived ban Doctor Who movement. Tom Baker at his best!
Yes, definitely a classic.I think my favorite is Pyramids of Mars though.Great story, terrific performance by both Tom and Liz Sladen. Sutekh was I think by far the creepiest and most dangerous foe the Doctor has ever faced.I think it was Stephen Thorne who played Sutekh and he was simply amazing.You can't get more menacing than that.We also got to see that maybe the Time Lords weren't the all powerful beings we'd thought they were.Terrific stuff all around.

Wish they still had it on PBS in Tampa. I used to watch it all the time - Tom Baker era. Even went to a Dr. Who convention. Those fans really know their "Who" stuff.
TARDIS - It's bigger on the inside than the outside.
Yeah,I first saw on it on our local PBS channel, WVIA, Channel 44, way back around 80, 81.They were the first PBS station in the country to broadcast it.It was first shown in the States in 1978.I first started watching with the Fifth Doctor and got hooked immediately,been watching ever since. TARDIS, an acronym for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.

Got my start watching Jon Pertwee(#3) for me it is largely
Yeah, he certainly was interesting.If you ask me, Doctor's 2, 3 and 4 were the best.They introduced all the elements that made the show the classic it became.And I think Patrick's Doctor went a long way towards keeping the show going,especially with introducing The Time Lords in The War Games.

Yeah, he certainly was interesting.If you ask me, Doctor's 2, 3 and 4 were the best.They introduced all the elements that made the show the classic it became.And I think Patrick's Doctor went a long way towards keeping the show going,especially with introducing The Time Lords in The War Games.
Yes, some well deserved love for Patrick Troughton! He added much needed levity, humor, and characterization to the role. And The War Games is entertaining, a bit creepy (gas masks!), and even a little heartbreaking - a perfect Whovian mix. I also loved The Mind Robber, a lot of which doesn’t make sense, but is just plain charming and funny. The 2nd doctor also had great chemistry with his last companions, Jamie and Zoey (Hines and Padbury). The three of them took arch script writing and poor production values and somehow managed to make it all fun and relatable, which is really what separates the good from the forgettable when it come to pre 1970s sci fi tv.

Any other Whovians on here? If so, what's your favorite episode? Just got three new Classic episodes on disc today, The Mind of Evil, Planet of Evil and the Web of Fear.Been collecting for quite some time now, won't be long till the collection is complete.
Well, looks like I started something with this thread, and that's very cool.Besides rockets,Doctor Who has long been a subject that's near and dear to my heart.And it's even cooler that you all are rocket nuts as well. I can remember many years back, before I ever saw it I heard about this oddly interesting show from England that people were talking about, so I decided to sit down and watch it.It didn't take to find out what the fuss was all about.It was SO much different than anything I'd ever seen before,with its mixture of quirky humor, science fiction and intelligent dialogue.It was a no brainer for me because all of those were right up my alley.And I've never regretted a minute of it.Funny, entertaining and sometimes educational.What more could you want?

I also started watching Dr Who via PBS in Chicago. Tom Baker then they ran some Pertwee too. I think the movie with 8 didn’t get enough love. 10 and 11 were pretty good drs. Definitely on par with 4 and 5. The Key to Time was a good series. Still, my favorite episode is The Girl in the Fireplace. Funny, full of action and then the sad ending that just kicks you in the smalls. Some of 10’s after series specials were pretty good too.

Yes, some well deserved love for Patrick Troughton! He added much needed levity, humor, and characterization to the role. And The War Games is entertaining, a bit creepy (gas masks!), and even a little heartbreaking - a perfect Whovian mix. I also loved The Mind Robber, a lot of which doesn’t make sense, but is just plain charming and funny. The 2nd doctor also had great chemistry with his last companions, Jamie and Zoey (Hines and Padbury). The three of them took arch script writing and poor production values and somehow managed to make it all fun and relatable, which is really what separates the good from the forgettable when it come to pre 1970s sci fi tv.
Oh yes, I loved Patrick.This guy was an amazingly talented actor, and a very versatile one at that.I've seen him in many different things since then, and he brought great character to everything he did,he even played the tortured priest in the Omen.He also played the sorcerer Milanthios in Sinbad.My favorite Who of his was Tomb Of The Cyberman.

I also started watching Dr Who via PBS in Chicago. Tom Baker then they ran some Pertwee too. I think the movie with 8 didn’t get enough love. 10 and 11 were pretty good drs. Definitely on par with 4 and 5. The Key to Time was a good series. Still, my favorite episode is The Girl in the Fireplace. Funny, full of action and then the sad ending that just kicks you in the smalls. Some of 10’s after series specials were pretty good too.
Good choice, that one.Sofia Miles, the one who played Madame du Pompadour, was just amazing, a really wonderful performance.And David played off of here really well.One of my favorites as well, it was really interesting and really well done. A throwback to the historical stories of early Who.It was great to see Liz Sladen return on School Reunion.

I became aware of Tom Baker’s Doctor first back in the day. Then rebroadcasts of the Jon Pertwee version on PBS

+1

Fav episode: "Day of the Doctor" - can you hear it? do do do...

1675910715330.png

David Tenent and Matt Smith are quaky and some of the best Doctors! Bowties are cool!

1675910821061.png

Guess who else is in this episode?

Who... knows...?

1675910951324.png

Edit: Includes Billie Piper, lots of Time Lords, Daleks, potential for new series... (shame)

Last edited:
Talons of Weng-Chiang really creeped me out when I saw it as a kid. Still creeps me out to this day. Tom Baker and Leela at their finest, although it might not have aged well, like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Big fan of all of them since Jon Pertwee and Sarah Jane, those were the first that I recall seeing as reruns on PBS in the early 80s.

Talons of Weng-Chiang really creeped me out when I saw it as a kid. Still creeps me out to this day. Tom Baker and Leela at their finest, although it might not have aged well, like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Big fan of all of them since Jon Pertwee and Sarah Jane, those were the first that I recall seeing as reruns on PBS in the early 80s.
Really cool episode, definitely in the top five.Robert Holmes was probably the best writer the show ever had, especially on this story.The whole cast performance was absolutely superb.The sets and period costume design were extraordinary.The BBC is well known for their skill at doing period pieces like this and it really shows here.I tend r to watch this one quite a bit.

Used to watch this religiously as a kid.

I remember vividly when the 4th doctor met a Jagaroth in the episode the City of Death. The idea that an alien species could be shaping human evolution over millions of years sparking the harnessing of fire, the bronze age, the renaissance, etc.. for their own ends was a mind-blowing concept.

Yeah,I first saw on it on our local PBS channel, WVIA, Channel 44, way back around 80, 81.They were the first PBS station in the country to broadcast it.It was first shown in the States in 1978.I first started watching with the Fifth Doctor and got hooked immediately,been watching ever since. TARDIS, an acronym for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.
Is that right!!?? I watched those same episodes on channel 44 at the same time (grew up in Lycoming County). The John Pertwee episodes were the best with Delgado as “the Master”. Also liked Brigadier Stuart the UNIT Commander. Hard to beat the Dalek episodes.

Is that right!!?? I watched those same episodes on channel 44 at the same time (grew up in Lycoming County). The John Pertwee episodes were the best with Delgado as “the Master”. Also liked Brigadier Stuart the UNIT Commander. Hard to beat the Dalek episodes.
Yeah,that's correct.I grew up in Luzerne County, and I'm still there.I live in Pittston, a short distance from their studio.They even had the Travelling Doctor Who exhibit here at the Wyoming Valley Mall, I believe around 86 or 87.87 was the year Patrick Troughton passed on here in the States when he was attending a Doctor Who convention.Do you remember their membership drives when they featured Dr.Who?All they had to do was mention Dr.Who and the phones would be ringing off the hook.I also recorded quite a few episodes off air back then on VHS tapes.Some have held up pretty well but some haven't.What town are you from?

Yeah,that's correct.I grew up in Luzerne County, and I'm still there.I live in Pittston, a short distance from their studio.They even had the Travelling Doctor Who exhibit here at the Wyoming Valley Mall, I believe around 86 or 87.87 was the year Patrick Troughton passed on here in the States when he was attending a Doctor Who convention.Do you remember their membership drives when they featured Dr.Who?All they had to do was mention Dr.Who and the phones would be ringing off the hook.I also recorded quite a few episodes off air back then on VHS tapes.Some have held up pretty well but some haven't.What town are you from?
Grew up in a little town called Picture Rocks. Named so because the Muncy Indians had carved images on the bluff by Muncy Creek. About 3 miles from Hughesville on 220. Live near Cleveland now.

As I recall, Dr Who was on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I do remember the Telethons.

Grew up in a little town called Picture Rocks. Named so because the Muncy Indians had carved images on the bluff by Muncy Creek. About 3 miles from Hughesville on 220. Live near Cleveland now.

As I recall, Dr Who was on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I do remember the Telethons.
I've heard of that area before, and I'm sure you know where Pittston is, about four miles north of Wilkes - Barre.Actually it was 0n week days at 7pm and Also on Saturday afternoons.They even had a branch of the Doctor Who Fan Club here,it was called the Scarf Trailers Club.

Well, it turns out you were only about an hour or so away from here.Not familiar with that area but I have heard of Picture Rocks before.Haven't flown here in a really long time, just no room left.Just started back up again three years ago after being away for a couple of decades.I'm an old schooler,I'm only interested in the old classic kits from back in the day, the newer stuff just doesn't do it for me.The high power stuff would be fun but just can't afford it.

Back