Do You Use Free Cloud Storage, like Google Drive or DropBox?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkII

Reaction score
I am curious about the new cloud storage services, like Google Drive and DropBox. I have recently read about them. Most seem to offer a certain amount of storage space for free, before charging for additional space. Who uses these services, and what kinds of things do you store on them? I am interested in finding out what kinds of things cloud storage services might be useful for. Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind someone else holding your files, they are all okay. If you want strictly "Trust No One" or TNO storage, most of them don't offer that. TNO means your data is never in the clear, the storage facility doesn't have the decrypt key, and they can't help any law enforcement or government agency to peek at your files.

Decrypting your data before you upload it to the cloud is probably advisable if your files are somewhat sensitive. Just don't lose your pass phrase.

I use DropBox. It's nice as there are a few files my family uses; a Shared cookbook for instance. Anytime any of us updates the cookbook, it gets sync'd out to all of our machines. Sharing files with friends (Google Docs can, but you're limited to using their application too), and I sym-link a number of my save game files so that I have the save available at whatever machine I want to use ( or share with others) on.

Mike-

I recently started a subscription with Carbonite, following an exchange on this forum about backups. Though there was in initial hiccup (they were having a problem with their free-trial server or something), they corrected it and tracked me down to let me know it was resolved. I did the trial for two weeks, mostly while I was away on vacation. Over this time it backed up ~35 GB worth of my data to their cloud servers (speed bottleneck = my ISP upload speed).

While I was away, I had a fairly urgent need for data in one of the files (a frequent traveler number). I downloaded their Android app and got the info I needed. While meeting with some family on my trip, the subject of rockets came up and I used the Android app to show off my rocket picture library, which had already uploaded by then so was accessible.

I've used it any number of times since then for remote access to data, either via my android or on another computer (though, only computers I trust, and I wipe cookies and stuff after I'm done).

I'm not paranoid about data security. Like anyone who uses an ISP for anything, we're already exposed. Carbonite doesn't significantly increase that exposure. For the security minded, remember to vote for pro-net-neutrality candidates this fall (it's not a party-line vote, so do your research!).

The Carbonite backup makes me more comfortable about not worrying about losing my data, though I do fairly regularly (every few months) backup and stick the backup in a safe deposit box. Knowing that my exposure now is on the order of a day's data instead of months is comforting to me.

Marc

While I don't personally use it, I know a number of people who use Dropbox to share files.

The band director at the high school my 2nd oldest is about to graduate from makes extensive use of it, to share certain information with the students, as well as with other band directors.

As has already been said, if it's something sensitive, don't put it out there.

-Kevin

I've been a Dropbox user for years. I've mainly used it to keep from having to carry a USB drive back and forth to work all the time, partly for backups, and recently to work on a collaborative project. I would not want to do without it. It works seamlessly and fills a real, daily need.

I used Dropbox for a bit during grad school. Some friends and shared research in formation and it was a great way of effectively sending large files that couldn't be emailed. I don't use it anymore, don't have the need.

I use dropbox because it is the easiest way to get documents from my PC to my ipad.

I have thought about putting some documents on dropbox so I could have easy access from various places but so far have not figured out a good way to organize that.

Won't comment on method of storage although I reaaaaally miss kick *ss 1TB Hard Drives for $45 , just image over and put off site.

Machine catches fires, gets malwared or physically stolen I would miss pictures and my bookmarks - so I need to back them up. Flash drive, old HD, COX backup and the new Google drive are all good vehicles. Recommend identifying must have data and where it resides. Also putting your current Ethernet driver on a flash drive is VERY helpful to access your cloud storage when you are starting from scratch.

If its easy and you get into a routine, like starting a copy over when you are done with your online bills - will stay fairly current. One of the new issues I am having with proper maintenance of data and my machine is that I am using it less and less in favor of phone and such.

Kenny

I use Google Drive (since the beta of Google Docs). I have had paid storage with Google for several years now as I have a TON of images hosted through Picasa.

Back