Do you have other exciting hobbies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycarlos

Reaction score
I recently decided to get in to MPR because I'm bored with my life and wanted to do something bigger and more exciting. Noise, smoke, big rockets seemed like a great idea.

Interested to know if you folks have any other exciting hobbies as such?

I was going to try raising Clydesdales, but my wife pointed out they didn't come with beer, so there went that idea....

Last edited:
R/C Airplanes, Photography, Plastic Models, Motorcycling (Yamaha V-Star 1300), Beer Drinking... But mostly just being a Professional Procrastinator! That's the only one that doesn't require a lot of expendable income!

I founded and run the Chicago Robotic Combat Association and have been building and competing in combat robots since 2001.

I teach and coach chess exhaustively. Wrote a book. Curacy a team. Volunteer to teach at libraries. Run tournaments. Complete occasionally.

I teach and coach chess exhaustively. Wrote a book. Curacy a team. Volunteer to teach at libraries. Run tournaments. Complete occasionally.

I saw some of your collection in the other thread, very impressive. I haven't played in decades, and never was very good. In 1992, while still in the USAF, I got to travel to Cairo, Egypt, and purchased a chess set at the bazaar. It was a Mahogany board with Mother of Pearl inlays. The pieces were Mahogany and Camel Bone (Ivory is illegal to import to the US). Unfortunately, my ex-wife now owns it.

I occasionally make knives. I used to have a good set up for DIY knifemaking with a forge and all, but my original intention was to maybe try to make money at it, but I could never afford enough of the proper equipment.
For now I'm pretty much stuck re-handling and re-contouring existing blades and pieces of metal that don't require annealin, heat treat or tempering.
My hands are always busy doing something, and my house, tools and workbench are in a state of upheaval right now so proper rocketry can not get done.
Here's a neck knife I just made over the last week from a part of a scissors:

Foam Finger 2016-09-13 004.jpgFoam Finger 2016-09-13 001.jpg

I have to use expanding foam everyday to seal my house up for Winter, and after it cures I have to build around it, so this little treat is much better at trimming than the flimsy disposable box cutters, and handy where a hacksaw blade can't fit.

I joke with the cashier at 5 Guys Burgers, that I'm collecting ticket numbers.. (When you order, they give you a number, your order number. I've eat there a few times, and get a different number each time.. "Hey, I got #56! don't have that one yet!")

I'm into Woolly caterpillar racing on a warm truck hood. This type of racing is like a slow drag event but slower and napping during the race is expected.

My other hobby is school district activism--decidedly unexciting.

Yes, but discussion of my other activities are strongly discouraged. :no:

Me too! I finally have someone to compete against! How many thimbles do you have? Last count for me was 1.

I have three. All from the Ming Dynasty. The shop owner who sold them to me could see I didn't believe him that they were so old, but then he showed me the made in China stamp on them!

Got you beat.. Full contact commemorative spoon collecting, "Australian rules" league. Nearly lost in '02 over a Niagara Falls public edition spoon. brutal..

I got ya beat, a few of my Aussie buddys hooked me up during their last visit to the States for the " Air to Air Combat Paper Airplane World Championships" .
I got some " Special Spoons " They claim where used by Steve Irwin , eating his last dinner before the Stingray deal .

Welcome to TRF johnnycarlos :wink:

Last edited:
I don't know if you'd call it exciting, but I do enjoy commenting unnecessarily on forum threads.

I collect spores, mold and fungi !! When I'm not overwhelmed with that I spend time teaching Carl the turtle to speak English. After 2 and a half years , he's blowing bubbles, Progress???

...When I'm not overwhelmed with that I spend time teaching Carl the turtle to speak English. After 2 and a half years , he's blowing bubbles, Progress???

Sorry, he's regressed into a politician. You need a new turtle.

I collect spores, mold and fungi !! When I'm not overwhelmed with that I spend time teaching Carl the turtle to speak English. After 2 and a half years , he's blowing bubbles, Progress???

I totally read this and immediately thought, "this guy is a mushroom eating hippie"

I bodyboard anywhere from Malibu to the Tijuana sloughs when I have time and extra money. I have four kids all five and under. I guess child making could be a hobby?

I take some nut's and bolt's with me on roller coaster ride's and tell the person in front of me. Hay these nut's and bolt's just fell out of your seat.

I collect / read phone books too. Plot is a little weak. Over the years, the characters keep changing. I thought I figured out the main character since he was in all 86 books, but he was taken out of it last year. A bit of a plot twist for the diehard fans I guess.

Back