Do you have a Rocket Albatross?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have more trouble with white paint than any other color. Doesn't matter if it's Krylon or Rusto. Krylon seems watery and with Rusto a moment to long in one spot and it runs. The Odessa was going to be mostly white. But after several bad attempts with white I gave up and painted it blue and yellow. Hence the name.

I have more trouble with white paint than any other color. Doesn't matter if it's Krylon or Rusto. Krylon seems watery and with Rusto a moment to long in one spot and it runs. The Odessa was going to be mostly white. But after several bad attempts with white I gave up and painted it blue and yellow. Hence the name.
That's an interesting observation! I'll have to keep an eye on that going forward. It may be the same in my case, but I don't often use white, so I may not have made that connection since there's so many other things that can screw up paint jobs.

Just thought of another one...... I have a King Kraken that I cut the fin tubes for a few years ago. I boogered one of them. Put it away and haven't looked at it since.

Just thought of another one...... I have a King Kraken that I cut the fin tubes for a few years ago. I boogered one of them. Put it away and haven't looked at it since.
App Reaction GIF

Repairs continue! "Albie" is quite a sick looking bird. :(

First I sloughed off the drips (again).

Then it was time to remove the bigger lesions.
20230213_214705.jpg
20230214_173822.jpg
I figured there's no real choice since the painted papering kept bubbling up. After trimming it out, I applied CA to the area and clamped down the lifted edges.
20230214_174841.jpg
I repeated with bubbled on another 3 fins.

When things set, I'll inspect, sand, fill, sand. 🤞

So do any of you have a rocket Albatross?
View attachment 562825
(Reference: From The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798) by Samuel Taylor Coleridge)

Is there some rocket that you screwed up so badly that you put it off to the side since you didn't want to deal with it and it's been haunting you?

Let's see them and try to fix them! :D

(I need motivation to fix my albatross. :))

Nope.

Rocketry is an escape from burdens, that torment incessantly.

The saga continues...

So I couldn't leave well enough alone with Albie. It's like I'm Sisyphus!

So I did the dreaded clear coating and had one drip, which wasn't any big deal, but I noticed some blemish area right dab in the front midsection.

I figured I'd try lightly sanding it, but that didn't seem to help, so I sprayed some white I paint into a yogurt cup and proceeded to brush it one...but it went on pink! :eek:o_O🤬

Seems the paintbrush I was using I had last used for red touch ups and didn't clean it well enough.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I tried a new brush and sanding, but not pretty.
20230220_115635.jpg
It's a pink belly button!

Now that was very annoying.

I tried a fix I've used in the past with a raised mask and the original spray paint... came out pretty nicely!

20230220_120637.jpg
20230220_125025.jpg

That actually looks very cool and bulletproof!
Well ... you talked me into putting some more time into it. Not going to get the imperfections smoothed out.... (don't have the time or ambition.) Structurally the thing is a tank, so I did a little sanding & prep work. Then threw on a few coats of high build primer, and then finished with Matte to help with the appearance. From 100ft away it will be fine. 😆

Has a "wet sheen" on it now, I'll see what it looks like in a few days.

20230301_165224.jpg

Need some help...
1A) Which color should I go with for the inside of the tube-fins. (Yellow or Red)

1B) Which color for the nosecone. (Black, Yellow, Red, White) [ Note sure about black, it absorbs too much heat for the tracker/battery inside the nose.]
Here are a few versions whipped up VERY quickly in an image editor.
Black_Yellow_Close.JPGBlack_Red_Close.JPGBlack_Yellow_Red_Wide.jpgBlack_Red_White_Wide.jpgBlack_Red_Wide.jpg

2) Please throw out some name ideas... I keep wanting to change to synonyms, or other languages of "tube", "fin", & "rocket". (ie The Cylindrical Airfoil Booster [ The C.A.B. ] is one I am thinking of.) But I am note sure... The kids haven't come up with anything either.

Thanks for any opinions, thoughts, and ideas.

Need some help...
1A) Which color should I go with for the inside of the tube-fins. (Yellow or Red)

1B) Which color for the nosecone. (Black, Yellow, Red, White) [ Note sure about black, it absorbs too much heat for the tracker/battery inside the nose.]
View attachment 566352View attachment 566353View attachment 566359View attachment 566360View attachment 566361

2) Please throw out some name ideas... I keep wanting to change to synonyms, or other languages of "tube", "fin", & "rocket". (ie The Cylindrical Airfoil Booster [ The C.A.B. ] is one I am thinking of.) But I am note sure... The kids haven't come up with anything either.

Ooh, nice ideas for paint! Tbh I'm drawing a blank right now, but will ponder it. 🤔

Need some help...

View attachment 566352View attachment 566353View attachment 566359View attachment 566360View attachment 566361

Stick it against the background of where you launch the most and see what stands out best. Finding it in your workshop is usually easy..... but not always. :)

Turbulator, Air Compressor, SoupCan, UnbrokenArrow, (InsertDollarAmountHere)$$$, SmokeTube , AirStrainer

Last edited:
I have more trouble with white paint than any other color. Doesn't matter if it's Krylon or Rusto.
The Odessa was going to be mostly white. But after several bad attempts with white I gave up and painted it blue and yellow. Hence the name.
[/QUOTE]
Have you tried Kobra low pressure? That's what I use for white and I've never had a problem

Please throw out some name ideas... I keep wanting to change to synonyms, or other languages of "tube", "fin", & "rocket". (ie The Cylindrical Airfoil Booster [ The C.A.B. ] is one I am thinking of.) But I am note sure... The kids haven't come up with anything either.

Considering the trouble this one has been for you...

TuBeotch! 😆

Back