Do you fly Hybrids?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it possible

• Impossible

• Possible

• Dangerous

• Easy

• Impossible

• Possible

• Dangerous

• Easy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Just a quick little poll to see how many hybrid motor flyers we have here............

I've flown a Hypertek Hybrid setup (ie. 300cc and 440cc 54mm tank) for about a year now. I don't have too many flights on them yet but I'm hoping that will increase next year. 2003 has been a horrible year for flying at Whitakers.

Mark, who, I am proud to say, is just one of many bad influences I am lucky to have around :)D ), got me interested in hybrid flying. Like Mark said, 2003 hasn't been a very good flying year for Whitakers, so I have only managed one hybrid flight on my scratch built rocket I call the Antares. I have the HyperTek 440cc and 835cc 54mm equipment. At this time I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to fly the 835cc tank in a K240 configuration. My initial flight with it was the 440cc tank in a J270 config. Went fine, but I didn't get nearly the altitude that I thought it would get.

The only other (minor) gripe I have about hybrid flying is the extra setup and tear down time required. It is *very neat* when it works.

I have no idea how long it is *supposed* to take. From what I remember on our GSE at Whitakers, I would say that it takes about 15 or 20 seconds to fill the 440cc tank... but I could be remembering wrong, and I have never actually timed it. Sooooo.... I'm guessing that it would take roughly twice that time to fill the 835cc tank.

Mark may have a better memory about this or more accurate timings.

Originally posted by KenParker
is just one of many bad influences I am lucky to have around :D

I think there a lot of these kinds of bad influences around here :D :D

Ken and Mark, are you guys going to be at Whitakers Dec 20th launch? If I don't have to work, I might be able to convince my wife to take a small road trip...... Mapquest says it is only around 230 miles....... Mostly interstate driving...... 3 1/2 to 4 hours.......

Randy - not sure yet whether or not I will be making the 12/20 Whitakers launch. Tulanko is talking about a possible visit sometime during the Christmas holidays. That, among other things, will play in the overall decision process.

HOWEVER.... Mark, Phil, and I have been talking about attending the 12/13-14 Orangeburg launch. :D ;) :D :eek:

Unless something off the wall happens, at this point we are planning on being at Orangeburg. I believe I was copied on an e-mail that said you were also going to be there?

WARNING: WE INTERUPT THIS POST TO BRING YOU THIS IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT !!! INTENSE DANGER POSSIBLE !!!! POTENTIAL TRF GATHERING MAY HAPPEN AT ORANGEBURG THE WEEK OF 12/13-14 !!! Mothers, keep your children off the streets. Fathers, lock your daughters up at night. Hobby shops, lube up the credit card machines, Daddy's comin' to town !!!! WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED POST.....

hehehe... :)

HOWEVER.... Mark, Phil, and I have been talking about attending the 12/13-14 Orangeburg launch. :D ;) :D :eek:

Awsome!!!!!! I am taking friday (12/12) off, which at my job guarantees me the weekend off. I have just found out I'll be Launching SC's Tour De Deuce that weekend!!!!!!! I'm going to have to launch MY Deuce first, then the Tour's Deuce....... Then I have a long list of rockets that I hope will be making their first flights.......... LOC Expeditor, 3X Bullpup, Sprint, Praetor, and my 9.75" rocket.....

WARNING: WE INTERUPT THIS POST TO BRING YOU THIS IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT !!! INTENSE DANGER POSSIBLE !!!! POTENTIAL TRF GATHERING MAY HAPPEN AT ORANGEBURG THE WEEK OF 12/13-14 !!! Mothers, keep your children off the streets. Fathers, lock your daughters up at night. Hobby shops, lube up the credit card machines, Daddy's comin' to town !!!! WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED POST.....

hehehe... :)
LOL, Does that warning go out for just Orangeburg or all of SC???

Oh, I suspect we'll be nice and limit the carnage and chaos to just O-burg....

Hey guys, you still planning on coming down this weekend? I am trying to finish up a few rockets, but work is killing me lately....... I will at least have my Expeditor done....... The V-2 may be done, but just not painted....... (I have been known to fly a rocket naked the first time)

As of this point in time, Mark, Phil and I are planning on being there on Saturday. It looks like we will not be there Sunday.

Hey - I have a question for you - do you know if they have Hypertek GSE at O-burg?

Looking forward to Saturday.

I fly only RATT's, the whole Hypertek system seems a little complex for me. I really like the idea of it though, and the prices aren't half bad.

RocketManiac - Your Expediter is going to RIP on that 440cc J!!! I flew mine on a J350W, around 4000' - 5000', so expect a little more than that. Should be awesome!!

I fly RATTS and Hyperteks a lot and love both systems... we have great support for hybrids in our club, even Dave Griffith (inventor of the RATT) regularly comes out and tries out new stuff for us at launches... last launch we saw a K350 Alcohol/LOX motor, VERY cool!

Hey - I have a question for you - do you know if they have Hypertek GSE at O-burg?

I must be honest....... I have no idea.......... Sorry

Originally posted by DPatell
RocketManiac - Your Expediter is going to RIP on that 440cc J!!! I flew mine on a J350W, around 4000' - 5000', so expect a little more than that. Should be awesome!!

Sorry, was that "rip" or "r.i.p."? :D

I'd fly hybrids... a local guy is making a small batch of 38mm G hybrids... but while the running costs would be far less than AP, the initial costs are just too high a hurdle for me to jump right now. Mr. Cesaroni will be taking my money for many years to come, I think.

Originally posted by Justy
Sorry, was that "rip" or "r.i.p."? :D

I'd fly hybrids... a local guy is making a small batch of 38mm G hybrids...

LOL, I didn't even caught the RIP comment last night....... 38mm G hybrids???? Tell me more....... He's making the hardware (tank) or the fuel grain? or both? This sounds so interesting.............

Back