Do you build more kits, or build more "scratchers"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Should probably be a poll, but I like discussions as much as the answers.

Do you build more kits, or do you build more rockets from your own design. Can we call kit bashes "scratch-built"? (a kit bash is were one takes the parts from one or more kits and builds a different rocket than the instruction). As I'm moving more into high power, I find I'm building my own designs more. I still enjoy building kits, too. And if I find discounted kits at Hobby Lobby, they get snapped up for the parts (or might get built "stock").

I'm almost all scratchers now, with the occasional kit mixed in. In an ideal world I'd be building tons of kits too, but since I won't have any place to put them, I focus on builds that are more meaningful to me which are my scratch designs. Nowadays when I build kits, it's usually because they offer something unusual, that is different from what I typically scratchbuild.

(never mind that I haven't actually done a speck of building in months)

When I got back to this I built kits. Hadn't a clue about HPR, didn't know that there were F's and G's. Then I saw some YouTube videos a few years later. I started building more kits and some more and after 18 kits I had learned about HPR, MPR and scratch building. So for the last 3 years I have been scratch building like a man possessed. I have built 150 something. So I scratch build now.

Almost all scratchbuilt. I've randomly bought parts over the last decade or two. Almost any kit or upscale I like I can duplicate. (No, I ain't agonna try the Mars Snooper.) With some effort, yes, of course. But hey, it's a hobby, right? (Or an obsession? ;) Don't answer that question.;)

Back