Do We Have Any Archers in The House? (Target, Hunter, Recurve, traditional, compound etc)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you believe 70 - 85% letoff on the compounds with cams (and I see that at least one of the compounds from Elite advertises a 90% letoff!). A 70lb peak wieight compound with 80% letoff would see the archer at full draw having to hold only 14 lbs on the fingers.
I would have to see how it works. I always thought you needed at least 25# or so to get a clean release with fingers. And I don't really want to pull through 70# for target shooting, I prefer 50. The normal NFAA round was 28 targets so that's 112 arrows plus your warmups.

Yeah, we bought new... The Archery Den in Franklin, TN was geared more towards hunters and compounds, so we moved about 5-miles further North to the Music City Archery. They met us on the range, took us into the store and fit us with everything we needed, top notch outfit all around. We also got to shoot our purchases before buying. My wife needed a little trial and error to get the right bow for her; she settled on a 62" Galaxy Sage with a 20# draw. Very nice traditional set-up.

I went in looking directly for an ILF set-up. Granted, this store did not have a lot of custom stuff, but they did have nice gear that they could pull together to get us set up. My riser is a machined aluminum (6065) 25" Riser called the Sebastien Flute EVO. The limbs are a basic Galaxy set rated at 25# draw weight. The over-all length put meat 70"

We also made off with forearms guards, tabs, Bow slinger, wax, arrow tube (not a quiver) and an L-shaped Bow Square. Her carbon arrows, at a 24" draw, had to be custom cut. My arrows at a 29" draw just needed to have tips glued in, as they were already at 30.75" in length.

I just returned from the local Feed Mill with 3-straw bales, so now we have a back stop to start shooting here at home! We spent a bit, but most of what we bought was one time, unless we feel the need to upgrade anything leter on... I am hoping to move into 30# and then 35-40# for target shooting.

I just returned from the local Feed Mill with 3-straw bales, so now we have a back stop to start shooting here at home! We spent a bit, but most of what we bought was one time, unless we feel the need to upgrade anything leter on... I am hoping to move into 30# and then 35-40# for target shooting.
Watch the straw bales- sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You might need to buy one of those foam targets from Cabelas or someplace similar. I think 30# is plenty for indoors, even for outdoors at moderate distances. If you want to shoot a full FITA out to 90 meters then you might need a little more weight.

Watch the straw bales- sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You might need to buy one of those foam targets from Cabelas or someplace similar. I think 30# is plenty for indoors, even for outdoors at moderate distances. If you want to shoot a full FITA out to 90 meters then you might need a little more weight.

A friend recommended that if you have access to a banding/strapping tool, you band the bales with non-metal straps... they'll last longer.
I found a video on goobtube that shows a mechanical method for compressing the 3-staw bales together using wood and all-thread rods. Since it is raining today, I may work towards building my own binding box to compress and secure the bales. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
A pic of my arm 3-days after the introductory lesson... It would seem that shooting a bow tea hes you proper form in a number of ways, not just through accuracy, or the lack thereof... The bruising shown, is where the string got under the forearm propector and gave me a nice couple slaps.

IMG_3171.jpg

One of the pieces of gear I picked up is an upper and forearm brace, until I get better with my form.

IMG_3172.jpg

Did I mention the "purple-nurple"? Yeah, the saleman at Music City Archery said that just before I release the arrow, do a small ab crunch, and you will avoid being slapped in the chest with the string... it worked, but I am afraid it will introduce bad form I the long run. I either need a chest protector, and I need to open my stance a bit more.

2 Cents for arrow placement if you shoot "Instinctive" (without sights):
1) Find a comfortable way to draw, anchor, hold the bow, hold the arrow etc and learn to do it by experimenting then start doing it consistently the same and DON'T worry about the "bulleye" but just relax and shoot until the arrows keep finding the same spot consistently.
2) Keep shooting looking at the target and just "put the arrow in the bulls eye" without thinking too much about that, but think about your form and keeping it smooth.

Last edited:
Good points, thank you! The salesman I was working with really helped me a lot to get set up for instinctive aiming, and it was not until I got home and researched it, that the tab he set me up with, will help me later on should I decide to "string walk..." He winked at me, when he said you may thank me later, now I know why. Otherwise, he helped me get set up for instinctive archery, which he kind of coached when I got to try my Bow out.

Back