Do I need a license for radio-location?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmazanec1

Reaction score
I got a no-code Tech (N8VHI) but when the World Wide Web got popular, I let it lapse.
Would I need it to locate a rocket using "fox hunting" technology?

If it's been under 2 years since it lapsed, you can still renew your license. Most fox hunting trackers use ham bands, so yes, you will legally need a tech license. I know a handful of people who use the fox/dog trackers and don't have a license though.

Depends on the frequency used. 70cm or any other ham band, yes.

When the WWW got popular was quite some time ago. Probably the OP would have to re-test otherwise would be confined to the pricey unlicensed RDF stuff or 900Mhz GPS trackers. The GPS dog trackers from Garmin are pretty pricey too.
If you want to have a broader choice for RDF, a ham ticket is nice but not so necessary anymore especially one is a sport flier and don't mind 900Mhz GPS trackers. Depends upon how much $$$$ one wants to spend. Kurt

I got a no-code Tech (N8VHI) but when the World Wide Web got popular, I let it lapse.
Would I need it to locate a rocket using "fox hunting" technology?

N8VHI Expired in 2012... Most of the RF trackers (most, not all) are really falcon trackers (used for birding) in the 216mhz ~ 224mhz range. A new technicians ticket will keep you legal.

Back