DMS motor reliability?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
A search on those title keywords indicates some past issues which were supposedly addressed with "redesign" and/or correction of an issue with the external supplier of casings. Any examples of more recent issues?

If you're looking for anecdotes I've launched an H100, 3 I500s, an I280, and a J270. All aerotech DMS, no issues with the motor and all lit on the first attempt.

I’ve successfully flown an h100, 2x h115’s, i280, k535, and 2x j270’s

ive unsuccessfully flown an h550, which blew threw the forward closure and destroyed a rocket

I had the same issue on the H550. Luckily the retainer let go and the rocket did not go up in flames.

I've flown lots of DMS motors, and the only one that I ever had an issue with was the L1000. The first one I flew blew out the front closure so violently that it sheared off the Aeropack retainer ring and spit unburned grains all over the playa. The second one (it was at ROCStock, so Aerotech was there to give me a warranty replacement) seemed to work fine, until I got it home and pulled it out; its forward closure had also failed, probably very late in the burn, but the rocket had a hard bulkhead in it so there was no damage to the rocket. That was 3 or 4 years ago... I flew one last year, and had no problems, so I'm assuming that they have solved their case/closure issues.

I, too, have had good success with DMS motors for several years flying from the G80's up thru several M-1350's. AT is good about telling you about any problems....e.g. early with the M-1350 (and others) there was a vendor problem with the windings on the cases....but after contacting AT, they replaced mine before I used it! AT has very good customer service and have answered several questions for me over the years. If in doubt, just ask them.

A search on those title keywords indicates some past issues which were supposedly addressed with "redesign" and/or correction of an issue with the external supplier of casings. Any examples of more recent issues?
Like most new products they had a few wrinkles to work out in the beginning. They’ve since been worked out and are very reliable. I myself had an H550 let go back in the day but it’s still my favorite motor.

No issues. I've flown 2 H219T's (L1 cert flight, first DMS ever used), 1 G72DM, 4 H115DM's, 1 I140W, 1 H135W & 2 H550ST's. I have a J270W awaiting my L2 cert flight this fall. I have only flown DMS for HPR to date. I haven't seen the need to invest in reloads at this point.

Back