DM - F3 Delta 3: Detailed and scaled drawing finished and posted...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Hello,

Well, this is it.

I've finished the properly scaled 1/24th detail drawing of the DM-F3 Delta 3, and have posted it to my site. As was suggested by Mr. Forsyth, I've followed Pete Always book, by using Station numbers, and have properly named sources and given proper scale measurements.

https://members.tripod.com/silverleaf_design/id53.htm#d3

This is not perfect, but its the best I can do given my limited knowledge of what everyone online expects of a detail drawing.

My humble apologies on two accounts :

1) My site is at Tripod - so IF you recieve an error page saying the site is down for an hour - due to exceeding my bandwidth, please try back as it will be kept up for about a month.

2) The image is about 3 meg in size, so IF you've a larger site, and would/could host this page, I'd be very receptive to that possibility - if thats the case, please email me and we can figure out the details.

Finally, if someone wishes to use this as a basis for a book or the like, please give me credit for my 200 hours of source searching and detail work.

I plan to build a 1/24th scale Delta 3 first, and then hopefully work out all the bugs, and then work on my 1/12th scale version for level 3 certification down the road.

I hope that you the Rocketry community find this drawing of some use in your designing scale rockets.

Thanks,

R.S. Barker ( Silverleaf )

Great job on detailing this design! It would make a great kit were it not for all the nosecones and the transition! that's gotta be $20 in balsa for even a small scale! LOL

I have a couple of Questions:

1) I notice that the strap on boosters #4, 5 & 6 have a larger motor skirt than the other 6 boosters. Is this the only difference?

2) You only show the booster profile for the 6 boosters with smaller skirts. Are you planning on showing a view of the boosters for #4, 5 & 6?

3) The skirts on these boosters appear to be angled, yet your drawing of the booster shows it pointed straight down. Would another view (90 degrees rotated) show the angle of the skirt?

would be a VERY interesting scratch build!

jim

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the positive comments. After all that time working on this, I'm wore out, but itching to start work on the 1/24th scale model.

Kevin Forsyth properly corrected me to switch the Vectored GEMS engines from 1,2 and 3 to 7, 8, and 9. So the GIF image has been updated, and reloaded to the link above.

Ok, Jim, as to your 3 questions..:

1) I notice that the strap on boosters #4, 5 & 6 have a larger motor skirt than the other 6 boosters. Is this the only difference?

The canting on Boosters 4,5, and 6 is 10 degrees with Lengthened nozzles, unlike the other 6 strap-ons which is only 5 degrees and normal nozzle. Other than that, they are all identical. - this detail is on the right of the image - below the " Bottom View - Engines ".

2) You only show the booster profile for the 6 boosters with smaller skirts. Are you planning on showing a view of the boosters for #4, 5 & 6?

Ahh, good point, and somthing I'll have to look into.

3) The skirts on these boosters appear to be angled, yet your drawing of the booster shows it pointed straight down. Would another view (90 degrees rotated) show the angle of the skirt?

Your correct on the 90 degree rotation of the booster showing the angled nozzle. Its somthing I didn't consider to be important at the time, but both questions 2 & 3 have pointed out a couple small items I'll need to address.

Many thanks again for the comments, and for pointing out those 2 oversights.

Take care,

Silverleaf, All I can say is WOW!

Great job, someone is serious about scale:p

Cutt~

Silverleaf,

tanks! I *thought* that was the case. I knew something wasn't quite right, but wasn't sure what...

Back