District 9 , sleeper hit of 2009, now out on Blue-Ray/DVD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched this movie for the first time last night and well.....I wish I wouldn't have spent the $19 on it. The movie was very interesting and told an ok story but the way it was acted disappointed me. By that, I mean this was a perfectly good story and the effects were good, however the flagrant use of the "F-bomb" (even in a hardly recognizable South African accent) distracted from the story. :dark:

I won't go into the plot as I don't want to give it away; however, I will say that you can expect a very good movie, what you'd expect from Peter Jackson after LOTRs. It is a compelling story about segregation and oppression. You could take any minority in the world and make them the "Prawns". The director does a very good job of showing how the oppressed no longer stay the victims over time, but how the relationship becomes more of a mutual exploitation by both sides.

This is a great story I'd love to share with my kids, however, I just can't get past the gratuitous language. Even the blood and guts isn't that bad.......

Bottom line for me is that if I had to do it over, I'd wait for it to come on cable.

The IMDb rates it at 8.4, which is very high, especially considering that it really doesn't have any well-known actors.

I might just have to get this one...

I am a Sci fi Buff, but was getting tired of the same old stories by the same old actors and movie makers.. District 9 is WELL worth watching. It was a little different, very creative, the effects were great, the story even better.

2 thumbs up!

I watched this movie for the first time last night and well.....I wish I wouldn't have spent the $19 on it. The movie was very interesting and told an ok story but the way it was acted disappointed me. By that, I mean this was a perfectly good story and the effects were good, however the flagrant use of the "F-bomb" (even in a hardly recognizable South African accent) distracted from the story. :dark:

I won't go into the plot as I don't want to give it away; however, I will say that you can expect a very good movie, what you'd expect from Peter Jackson after LOTRs. It is a compelling story about segregation and oppression. You could take any minority in the world and make them the "Prawns". The director does a very good job of showing how the oppressed no longer stay the victims over time, but how the relationship becomes more of a mutual exploitation by both sides.

This is a great story I'd love to share with my kids, however, I just can't get past the gratuitous language. Even the blood and guts isn't that bad.......

Bottom line for me is that if I had to do it over, I'd wait for it to come on cable.

All of those hours in a B-52 and you never dropped any "F-Bombs"? :D:D:D

You are kidding, right?

I haven't seen District 9, but will wait.

Angelo,

When Starship Troopers was in theaters, myself and a friend saw it 15 times! We loved it!

I have always loved Robert Heinlein (former NAR member) and have all his books. As a teenager, I would spend hours reading his books cover to cover in a day or two. Stranger in a Strange Land (U grok me? I feel like the character in that book a lot), The Moon is a harsh Mistress, Glory Road (one of my favorites), Doorway into Summer, Methusela's Children, The Man who sold the Moon, Beyond this Horizon ... the list goes on and on! Heinlein in my honest opinion was the GREATEST sci-fi writer that ever lived :merry-christmas:

They did Starship Troopers the way it should have been done. Matter of fact, if I ran the world, people would first have to serve in the military before they became citizens; just like the movie and the book!

Remember, Fleet does the flyin' while Mobile Infantry does the dyin' ... HOOOOOOORAHHHHHH!

starship_troopers.jpg

6a00c2251d530d604a0109d0f197ab000f-500pi

I really liked Starship Troopers as well, but my all time favorite Sci-fi movie ever was Aliens.:D

All of those hours in a B-52 and you never dropped any "F-Bombs"? :D:D:D

Mk82, Mk83, Mk84, Mk62 (QuickStrike), Mk117, BDU 48, CBU87, CBU89, GBU-12,, GBU10, CALCM, ALCM, ACM, AGM 142, JDAM, B-61 ( BDU38, not in anger :y: ).........and a few F-Bombs...but in a B-52, no one can hear you scream.....

Back on topic. I don't mind the word in a movie...I guess my grip is that now I can't show the kidos until they are older. It's a good enough movie to get a social message across, but not now......

I liked it a lot, but it was a bit too intense for my wife. It seems like the story ended rather abruptly... Is the sequel being filmed yet?

I heard good things, so I bought it on Blue-ray. IMO, worth seeing, but NOT worth buying... ;)

Save you dough, dont buy it. Go to Redbox and rent it for a buck...

Justin

I heard good things, so I bought it on Blue-ray. IMO, worth seeing, but NOT worth buying... ;)

Save you dough, dont buy it. Go to Redbox and rent it for a buck...

Justin

That all depends. I am a movie buff and collector I have 1000+ dvd's and just starting blu ray. to me it was well worth buying. if you are not a collector than I might agree dont go out of your way to buy it..

as for a sequel I would have to say YES. The prawn promised to be back in three years...

I liked both movies.

As for RAH's Starship Troopers,
looking a bit deeper into the waters below the boy meets girl story line, below the good guys vs bad bugs plot...

I always thought H was poking fun at the military as eluded to by the terrrible attrition experinced by both opponents mankind and insect.

Or is it just me.

Sorry for the hijack.

The story line doesn't make sense at times. If they are occupying the planet, nuke it. Why send it ground forces?

Because they needed to test the planet to see if there was master bug, a "brain bug' running the show.

WT squad, Whiskey Tango, was sent planet-side to act as bait to draw out the Brain-Bug. Once they confirmed its presence, they then had to go and capture the Brain-bug. It makes sense because ultimately if you can figure out what these creatures want and how they think, you can more effectively destroy them.

Once the bugs on Klendathu, destroyed Buenos Aires, there was no further talking, just plain bug killing!

In the book, one man in his suit could destroy dozens of bugs. In the movie it took several rounds from several troopers. In the book, fire was the principal way of dealing with the Arachnid menace!

I will never forget that line as Johnny Rico (Filipino in the book) is about to leave the ship heading down to Planet P in the 'Jump Boat':

Squad Leader in a slightly southern drawl - ' We are heading in with first wave ... that leaves more bugs for us to kill!'

Jonathan - Mobile Infantry has made me the man I am today!

The story line doesn't make sense at times. If they are occupying the planet, nuke it. Why send it ground forces?
But that would have resulted in a rather boring movie (and book). :) One of the lines that I laughed at in "Independence Day" was where the president stated he was reluctant to use nukes against the aliens because of the collateral damage. The aliens were wiping out entire cities in seconds and he's worried about collateral damage? Bottom line is that many sci-fi films have illogical components to permit action film elements. "Willing suspension of disbelief" is required by (too) many films.

I liked it a lot, but it was a bit too intense for my wife. It seems like the story ended rather abruptly... Is the sequel being filmed yet?
It'll probably be out three years from the release of the first film. Remember what Christopher Johnson said (that's all I'll say to avoid any spoilers).

Because they needed to test the planet to see if there was master bug, a "brain bug' running the show.
So just nuke the planet and see what crawls out afterwords. Also, why not just deflect the asteroids sent to Earth? I enjoyed the film, but I suspend disbelief when needed, something that is usually needed with action films.

The IMDb rates it at 8.4, which is very high, especially considering that it really doesn't have any well-known actors.

I might just have to get this one...
I liked it. It's not your typical sci-fi film plot where the aliens are the powerful, technologically advanced bad guys.

I liked it. It's not your typical sci-fi film plot where the aliens are the powerful, technologically advanced bad guys.

Ditto, the movie was pretty good in my opinion. I got this one and Terminator Salvation, and it far beat T.S. in to the dirt, as T.S. stunk!

One item to note, do not sit down and try to eat lunch or dinner while trying to watch this movie...it's not the splattering (gore) that got me, rather it was the general condition of the aliens themselves, and the main characters transformation that made me queezy while I ate. Popcorn should be fine though.

Worth a look see most def...

I had wanted to see it, anyway, so for a recent trip, I picked up a copy of District 9, and watched it while on the road.

Definitely not what I'd call a "sleeper hit". It's not bad, it's not great, and it leaves a bit to be desired in terms of the end (can you say "setup for sequel"?). Plus, while I don't mind some language, I though it got a bit gratuitous on the use of a certain four letter word.

It's almost like they minimized the gore, but still wanted the R rating, so they got liberal with the pejoratives, much like some movies put in the gratuitous sex scene for the same purpose.

-Kevin

Sleeper for sure -- I've never heard of it. Was it ever released in theaters?

MarkII

Back