New Rocketry show on TV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because a bit of drama is, in my opinion, an OK thing now and then, a drag race. You picked H impulse for altitude, so let's say H for a drag race too. For an added challenge, the same rocket for both altitude and speed, with different motors (and maybe exchangeable weights) allowed for the two flights. That's also an opportunity for educational content, as the choice of motors (and weights) is explained.

As for judges, just try to keep Adam Savage away. It doesn't matter if you invite him, he'll show up and sit down at the table anyhow. (And that wouldn't be so bad if he only sits in one of the co-host seats.)

Incidentally, there was a rocket build episode of Junkyard Wars. As I recall, the teams did good, safe builds that worked well. The teams "found" pristine Aeretech cases. There was always some planting of key items in the "junkyard" on that show, but those cases were really blatant.

Heck, make the N5800 launch at the end a drag race. There's only three rockets flying then anyway. You could consider drag races for some of the less weird competitions (say TARC and H altitude) where you wouldn't expect structural or deployment failures.

Wow, I am surprised by all the negative responses in this forum. When somebody posts a thread about building a rocket made from garbage or a ridiculous object (porta-potty, bowling ball, disc golf basket) they get rave reviews, here. (Not from me, though. I find such things to be nonsense. I like rockets that look like rockets made from rocket parts.)

Wow, I am surprised by all the negative responses in this forum. When somebody posts a thread about building a rocket made from garbage or a ridiculous object (porta-potty, bowling ball, disc golf basket) they get rave reviews, here. (Not from me, though. I find such things to be nonsense. I like rockets that look like rockets made from rocket parts.)

They seemed pretty legit to me. We didn't sponsor their event mostly because their ask was huge and ROI questionable. The people involved, at least the ones I spoke with (a member of creative and the EP) knew rocketry. I had no concerns with their commitment to safety, and although they were talking about some crazy (cool, ambitious) things, they had a team on hand who could handle it - I intend to watch it and enjoy the show.

If it eases any concerns, the EP was EP for 2 seasons of Vsauces Mindhunter (an incredibly engaging and educational series of content) as well as a few seasons of Mythbusters (same by my calculation. Some people may not like it, but I doubt there has been a TV show in history that drove more STEM engagement).

Tim has been a part of reality shows before that were a joke (antique hunter kind of stuff). I didn't get the impression these guys were just playing at an idea. They came prepared.

Last edited:
Past shows like this:

Master Blasters

Rocket powered Snowmobile (as in vertical launch, no fins, totally unstable, and thrust offset from CG)

And the "Safety thuuurd" (safety last) show (Rocket City Rednecks)

The issue isn't silly, nonsense oddrocs, it is how they building and flying them in a sensational manner. Made for crash TV. A good oddroc show would be very entertaining, sort of what Master Blasters was trying to be.

Let's look at the reality of doing a rocketry TV program. How many NAR and Tripoli members are there in the US, maybe 16,000 or so? That isn't even a significant part of the audience required for the sponsors to pay up... they want several hundreds of thousands of viewers on a cable show like that, at least. The only way they're going to get the sponsors to go for it is to increase the viewership, and that means adding a hook like "See how these crazy rocket people make a nutcracker fly! You'll never believe what happens at the end...". Sure, it's not representative of the hobby as a whole, but if it gets some viewers interested enough in hobby rocketry to start Googling and get more information about it, then I'm all for it. And these shows ARE fun to watch... :)

Keep it simple, some home grown local news bit would go a long way. Make it some kind of community involvement segment, involve some kids, parents or grand parents and you are good to go.

Last edited:
You spelled stupid wrong. Dumbest **** I have ever seen. I truly hope no one involved in the hobby was a part of it. If so they should be severly censured.Yea I said it, I mean it. Same goes for that stupid tree launch each year at MDRA.
Read the other thread.....you're in for a lot of disappointment.

Wow, sure got a bunch of Grinches' here.
Sure I love rockets and doing it safe.
But sometimes I just like watching folks doing things I would not try.
Heck it is all just for fun.
I will be watching it tonight for a few laughs, sure beats watching another Christmas special on Hallmark.

It looks like there is a new show on the Discovery Channel called Rocket Around the Christmas Tree.
Appears to be right up our alley.
I believe it is on tonight, Thursday, 12/3. Check local listings.

Show not to bad, all in fun. So whose motors were those?
AT DMS sold by Apogee. If you watch the footage carefully, you can clearly see the distinctive yellow packaging of the motors sitting on the work tables.

There was at least one L3 on staff/consultant/RSO.

Last edited:
Our secretary was giving intermittant updates as he watched during HARA's virtual meeting. We had some good laughs from his reports, and I'll be trying to watch it later (after the Mandalorian of course)

Last edited:
As a builder of oddrocs I can under stand the fascination with making non traditional rockets fly. But with all my builds I take CP, CG and stability into consideration. I want a straight and safe flights. The show on the other hand looks like the want CATO.s

Actually, they seem to like unstable rockets that do loop-d-loops. It seems that nearly every rocket did multiples of flying loops.

Note that only one of the builds had parachutes, and none of them worked. Apparently it's supposed to be "normal" for rockets to loop after leaving the rod (yes, they were using rods for rockets weighing maybe 10#...) and for rockets to be going horizontal aiming at a "target". I guess they can get away with this because it's a TV show, but it certainly does not put the hobby in a positive light. It was certainly cringeworthy... especially the presentation by the "YouTube celebrity" host.

Actually, they seem to like unstable rockets that do loop-d-loops. It seems that nearly every rocket did multiples of flying loops.

Speaking of loop-d-loops https:

I don't see how anyone can criticize the show, they are all by themselves no spectators, no 100 cars in a lot etc. Plenty of "stuff" happens at our launches most not intentional, but some with known/ suspected outcomes, and then applaud it. I'm sure every launch they had on the show was heads up.

Last edited:
[QUOTE

I don't see how anyone can criticize the show, they are all by themselves no spectators, no 100 cars in a lot etc. Plenty of "stuff" happens at our launches most not intentional, but some with known/ suspected outcomes, and then applaud it. I'm sure every launch they had on the show was heads up.
[/QUOTE]

Remember the disclaimer “DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME”? How many people, after watching this show, will go out and buy a G motor or a few, and try these stunts? I didn’t catch the beginning of the show to know if they announced any disclaimers, so I’m asking you . . . Did they?

Yep, there was a big "This was done under professional supervision, do not try this at home"

Well, good for them, lol. Of course there’s those idiots that never listen to disclaimers. We’re stuck with them until the bitter end.

Speaking of loop-d-loops https:

Er, um. Looks like someone didn't check the CG on that one.
I remembered the "O" powered full scale Phoenix missile some years ago at Midwest Power. Flew fine on an "M" and "N" motor but the builder didn't check the CG on a saw horse before flying the "O". One loop and the rocket slammed into the ground. It looked like it was going to make the turn at the bottom but didn't make it. Thank heavens the motor took off bounding across the open field away from people and the flight line. I believe they waited for all the fliers to come in from recovering other rockets before they launched.
Folks need to check the CG and be ready with nose weight to avoid these crazy loop the loop rockets. That is just an elementary facet that us oldsters learned from reading the Estes "TR" series of reports in the olden days. Odd rocs I think could still be problematic but if I was a participant in that activity, I'd fly a new project at a sparsely attended launch to make sure it "flew straight". I'd do that long before taking it to a major launch for others to enjoy.
Kurt Savegnago

Er, um. Looks like someone didn't check the CG on that one.
I remembered the "O" powered full scale Phoenix missile some years ago at Midwest Power. Flew fine on an "M" and "N" motor but the builder didn't check the CG on a saw horse before flying the "O". One loop and the rocket slammed into the ground. It looked like it was going to make the turn at the bottom but didn't make it. Thank heavens the motor took off bounding across the open field away from people and the flight line. I believe they waited for all the fliers to come in from recovering other rockets before they launched.
Folks need to check the CG and be ready with nose weight to avoid these crazy loop the loop rockets. That is just an elementary facet that us oldsters learned from reading the Estes "TR" series of reports in the olden days. Odd rocs I think could still be problematic but if I was a participant in that activity, I'd fly a new project at a sparsely attended launch to make sure it "flew straight". I'd do that long before taking it to a major launch for others to enjoy.
Kurt Savegnago

If you stop the video at 29 seconds, one of the motors on a fin started way before the others. I seen the Phoenix too.

Back