Discovery Channel Rocketry Program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash6

Reaction score
Caught the last half of a show on the Discovery Channel last night called "Supersonic Speed Demons". Big gathering of model rocketeers in Wichita, KS. I missed the first part where I'm sure they talked about some of the smaller rockets the general public plays with, but the rest of the program had some very cool stuff involving some very fast rockets (think Mach 2 and 13,000ft).

I'm pretty sure it will be re-run at 1pmET/NoonCT this Saturday 9-18-04.

BTW--if you watch....................pay close attention to the section on the BIG Nike Smoke!

Is the title the same as last year? I really wish they would do at LEAST a half hour segment on LPR.

nobody wants to see the little stuff...
:(

i did like the 250-rocket mass launch!
that was cool!

Elapid:
Being a former amateur and model Rocketeer or more then 40 years I am a little offended by your comment.
Lots of folks PREFER to see the "little stuff" Our club has had some very good TV segments on both regular and PBS local stations using mostly LPR models. It's the science not the size. One of the most boring vids I've ever watched was one of the LDRS tapes. John Q public need to see the REAL model rocketry as well as the over sized, over priced, and over hipped stuff. I'm sure there are some drag race fans out here that will take you to task also...If you can't say something nice..:kill:

I like the the little stuff because to me, it represents the foundation for everything else above it. Even the smallest model relies on all of the basic laws much the same as a full scale Saturn V.

If in fact one must think of rocketry in only one "class" or "size", it must in fact represent for him or her something other than the pureness of the hobby. This isn't a bad thing, just different.

For me it's one thing, for someone else, something possibly entirely different.

Respect the little stuff, because to an ant, it's huge!:D

Originally posted by Micromeister
Elapid:
Being a former amateur and model Rocketeer or more then 40 years I am a little offended by your comment.
Lots of folks PREFER to see the "little stuff" Our club has had some very good TV segments on both regular and PBS local stations using mostly LPR models. It's the science not the size. One of the most boring vids I've ever watched was one of the LDRS tapes. John Q public need to see the REAL model rocketry as well as the over sized, over priced, and over hipped stuff. I'm sure there are some drag race fans out here that will take you to task also...If you can't say something nice..:kill:

I read it differently, I thought the little frowny face in the quote meant that he was sad becausehe feels that is the case.

As for drag racing (as opposed to racing in drag), I had the joy of watching a whole group of Boy Scouts out in the desert a few months back, as they drag raced about 15 of their rockets simultaneously. They had all started out with the same kit, and built/painted each to his own desires. Some flew better than others, but everyone enjoyed it!

WW

High power, overpriced, overhyped? Now I take offense.
I believe myself to be a minority.
I see division between groups. LPR, MPR and HPR.
I say I am in a minority because I am in a small group that loves rockets of all sizes and shapes.
I get as much enjoyment from my Squirrelworks Spirit of Texas as I do my Skunkworks 10" Saturn V. and everything inbetween.

I read it like SecretSquirell. I thought he meant that he liked it, but no one else did, so that is why they dont show it.

I just love stuff that goes fast. I believe some of the big stuff is overhyped. I like building little minimum diameter stuff cuz it's cheap and gives even some of the HPR guys wet pants when this little rocket with a D in it all of a sudden disappears in a tiny whisp of black smoke. A different rocket on an E30 looked like a sounding rocket launch on small scale. I just love anything that moves fast! :D

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
I read it differently, I thought the little frowny face in the quote meant that he was sad becausehe feels that is the case.

thank you for your correct interpretation.

i have more small motors than big ones...even a few MMX!

Originally posted by GL-P
I like building little minimum diameter stuff cuz it's cheap and gives even some of the HPR guys wet pants when this little rocket with a D in it all of a sudden disappears in a tiny whisp of black smoke. :D

We launched a Make n take rocket on a D-21......it had great boost! Now we just have to work on the down part. But at least we got the rocket back. It don't get no cheaper than that!

We launched a Make n take rocket on a D-21......it had great boost! Now we just have to work on the down part. But at least we got the rocket back. It don't get no cheaper than that!

Yep, I launched a little thing on an E30. Flash, gone. Great flight. It held together no prob but I lost it. Ah well. I lost nothing too important. :D

To me, rockets are kind of like women in that I enjoy watching ALL the pretty ones, no matter what size (especially if someone else is paying for them).
(that should get some response?)

But I do have to shake my head and wonder when I see some of the HPR monsters (and even the near-monsters). You could sponsor a city-wide LPR program using the funds spent on just one of those things!

Originally posted by powderburner
To me, rockets are kind of like women in that I enjoy watching ALL the pretty ones, no matter what size (especially if someone else is paying for them).
(that should get some response?)

But I do have to shake my head and wonder when I see some of the HPR monsters (and even the near-monsters). You could sponsor a city-wide LPR program using the funds spent on just one of those things!

Ex point. Think of all the money that just goes torwards the support arena!

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Ex point. Think of all the money that just goes torwards the support arena!

The big projects keep a lot of cottage industry rocket folks in meal money, expecially those in the electronics world. Not to mention motor casings, parachutes, nozzles, nose cones and fin cans.

Chuck

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy

A Paper Tiger on an Apogee E6 was way cool too :) A lot faster than I expected.

A Paper Tiger on an Apogee E6 was way cool too A lot faster than I expected.

How'd do you get a paper tube to survive that?

I got to watch the program Saturday from the beginning and was disappointed that I actually had seen most of it the other night. Not much at all on the small stuff (I thought that's what I had missed). Oh well.

I guess the bright side is that if it caught some people's interest they'll do a tiny bit of exploring and discover how easy and reasonable it is to get started with the "over-the-counter" stuff.

It WAS an enjoyable program, though. After all, we don't see a lot of model rocketry on TV!

Discovery channel did have a low power series. I saw a few episodes of it. I think it was in england and the contest was simply how high could you get your rocket carrying and egg and still have the egg intact when it landed. Cool stuff.

It's good to see they are showing them again. I was part of the Aurora rocket project. 30k ft carbon fiber. Was a lot of fun building it I'm the guy who has to jump into the pool to soak the cardboard mandrel out after the CF was cured. Many things to take into consideration when working on a project as large as ours. The biggest worry besides the P motor was using the CO2 ejection system. But it worked a dream and we have launched it twice since then.

Michael Williams
PotRocs Amarillo

kudos to a fine job on that sucker. the first time i saw that show (rocket challenge i believe it was called, they had a whole week of it maybe a year or so ago) i really drooled. that was ultimately what got me into MPR. and i will be attempting a lvl 1 cert next season on an H128 reload. every time i see a huge rocket, i always compare it to that P rocket. sickness. good job on that one.;)

Originally posted by 2ndstage
It's good to see they are showing them again. I was part of the Aurora rocket project. 30k ft carbon fiber. Was a lot of fun building it I'm the guy who has to jump into the pool to soak the cardboard mandrel out after the CF was cured. Many things to take into consideration when working on a project as large as ours. The biggest worry besides the P motor was using the CO2 ejection system. But it worked a dream and we have launched it twice since then.

Michael Williams
PotRocs Amarillo

I have been curious since I saw that the first time about a year ago, why did you jump in the pool with it under your arm and not have some one hand it to you after you were in the pool or jump in after it? Kudos on that rocket I truly enjoyed the scene where the guy is lying on his back looking though the binoculars calling the rocket. what a great thing to do and succeed congrats :)

That was a real cool rocket!!! My 24mm minimum diameter rockets seem horribly underpowered after that thing!!!

Originally posted by rocketdad0934
I have been curious since I saw that the first time about a year ago, why did you jump in the pool with it under your arm and not have some one hand it to you after you were in the pool or jump in after it? Kudos on that rocket I truly enjoyed the scene where the guy is lying on his back looking though the binoculars calling the rocket. what a great thing to do and succeed congrats :)

I didn't really want to get in the pool as I am not really TV material to be in a pool. But it was hot and they told me there was a case of beer at the bottom of the pool. Bad thing was that Pat had a solar cover on that pool and it was like jumping into a hot tub.

I'm L3
, but the flight that drew the most attention ever for one of my rockets was on on an FSI E 6. Sounded like a pressure cooker letting of steam and it just kept going. never found that one, either.

Anyone know if they are going to rebroadcast this program again? I tried to find out directly, and the person I emailed from the Discovery Channel had no idea. I should have taped it when I had the chance!

i would've liked to TIVO that whole week. this was aired before i was big into MPR and HPR, so those videos were actually what got me interested in more powerful motors. plus, they've got AWESOME launch videos. discovery channel should broadcast from LDRS every year, i think that'd be cool.

Back