Discontinued? Estes Mega Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noffie79

Reaction score
Maybe I missed a thread on this or a comment somewhere, but I was just window shopping on Estes site and noticed the MDRM is nowhere to be found. Makes me wonder if the one I have still in the package should stay in the package...

Makes me wonder if the one I have still in the package should stay in the package...

Ultimately your call.

Personally (given the choice), I'll take a year or more of flying and then a great story of how it was lost, over 10 years of having a sack of parts.:cool:

Wouldn't surprise me as they seem to be moving away from the HPR-capable market. Once stock is depleted, I'm guessing we'll see no more PSII builder kits.

My take, they make what sells. My other take, TRFers alone would not keep them in business.

My take, they make what sells. My other take, TRFers alone would not keep them in business.

I do believe the PSIIs sold, but according to Jumpjet, their overseas plywood fell victim to regulations. (wry comment about not being edible in California)
Thus, we get the PSII E2Xs (which I will still probably refer to as the PSIIIs) and the Star Orbiter with its thick Balsa fins.

Guess I'd better grab a Scion so I can build the Broncbuster III in the not too distant future.

My take, they make what sells.

And from what I've seen on the WWW, they sold a lot of MDRM's! Of all of the PSII kits, I'd say it's BY FAR the most popular. I have no actual data to back up that claim, just the sense I get from posts here and in other forums/social media.

I have one, but I think I'd like another before they're gone.

And from what I've seen on the WWW, they sold a lot of MDRM's! Of all of the PSII kits, I'd say it's BY FAR the most popular. I have no actual data to back up that claim, just the sense I get from posts here and in other forums/social media.

I have one, but I think I'd like another before they're gone.

Nor do I have any data that says they aren't selling well. I'm not sure even Jumpjet is privy to it. Maybe artificial barriers (CA consumer regs) do have some affect. Just my uneducated :2: -- If you buy it, they will sell --

I just saw that AC supply says discontinued. Mine sits on the shelf with the standard and mini, just waiting for me to spring for the motor. I got mine at hobbylinc two years ago.

Originally Posted by samb
My take, they make what flies on the motors they sell. My other take, TRFers alone would not keep them in business.

Highlight what you fix. :rolleyes:

Fixed it for you.

Same thing to Estes, right ? Ain't spitballin' fun ? :cool:

[full disclosure] I don't own any flavor of the Der Red Max. I must be the only rocketeer on the planet who never thought it was all that.

Wow. So glad I found this thread!! One of my favorites and I had planned for my boy to join my daughter and I with one when he gets older. I just ordered two!!

Not the only one. ;)

Nonetheless, I do hope they figure out a way to keep it in production.

Agreed, I am not one of those either. IIRC, the mini, standard and PSII are all discontinued.
I think I have a mini in a box some wheres when I was buying mini's....back when I had money a couple years ago.
They sell well, I would think it would be one they keep around longer than the 3-5 years as Jump Jet stated on the interview.
Like the Alpha's and BB's, which has almost a Estes Life Long availability. The standard size DRM should always be available...IMHO.
Along with a couple others, but won't go into that on this thread.

The availability of plywood for fins for the PSII builder kits is the cause for their dismiss from production, as mentioned above, and by Jump Jet on the interview.
I for one would like to see them add instructions and fin templates to all the E2X PSII kits so you have the option to buy your own plywood and make the fins. (TTW)
Does that make sense to anyone else? Is this something ya'll want to see from Estes?
Estes...Jump Jet...has seemed to be listening over the past couple years.
We wanted parts...we got parts.
We wanted some old kits to come back...they are showing up.
They are listening...so I don't think it would be out of the realm to think that they might do so.

Not the only one. ;)

Nonetheless, I do hope they figure out a way to keep it in production.

Yup, me too, not one of those designs that appeal to me. That being said I do own a Mini Max and a regular Max, but they were bought for me as gifts.
I do plan to get a Mega Max at some point though as I have a plan for a spin off on the decor.
I only hope they are around long enough for me to grab one.

As of this morning when I was on their website, the standard Der Red Max was still available.

I am building one right now and hope to purchase one for daughter before supply goes completely dry. No it's not "all that", but it is an interesting build, slightly different than the norm. Mark has some very good vinyl variations for it as well....

Looked again this morning and still no MDRM on the Estes site. Ordered one from Hobbylinc. I think I'll let my girlfriend build that one and I'll keep mine in the bag for a while.

I thought the G40 put it up pretty high. But I guess high is relative. Maybe not so high for a guy who flies a lot of HPR.

Agreed, I think with my G40 it went ~500" and on a G80 it went ~650", but it was about the absolute worst conditions to fly in. 7mph sustained and 20mph gusts. I suspect with a good day and my weight a G40 would go 800-850" and with a G80" maybe 1100". But they look good on the pad and are fun to work on since they are so big. You could spend hours and days just sanding it to perfection...

Launch Report 2.jpg
Launch Report 1.jpg

Agreed, I think with my G40 it went ~500" and on a G80 it went ~650", but it was about the absolute worst conditions to fly in. 7mph sustained and 20mph gusts. I suspect with a good day and my weight a G40 would go 800-850" and with a G80" maybe 1100". But they look good on the pad and are fun to work on since they are so big. You could spend hours and days just sanding it to perfection...

View attachment 316090
View attachment 316091

Nice! :headbang: I'm all out of G40's, but I've got three G80's in my Ammo Can and the MDRM is the only rocket I have currently that I can put one in. Unfortunately, my NCR Laserhawk is permanently retired. :sad:

Back