disappointed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Howie

Reaction score
Sometimes things just don't work out. :confused2: I wanted to try a strut finned rocket,
that looked like a space ship. I was worried about the landing on the fins, and
kept adding struts. Now there are too many! :eek: For the front area, I kept
adding "habitat tubes". I should have used fewer, larger tubes. :y:

Next was suppose to be a nice "retro" looking rocket. :D I didn't pull it off. :eek:
I wanted a tailcone, nozzle, and landing pads. I have all that, but it looks weird. :shock: The tailcone is too long, and the fins don't fit the body/nose cone.

It can also be just a bad paint job. I was so looking forward to fly flying my
beta build HMAS Bonestell this weekend.

notgood (Large).jpg

whatthehey (Large).jpg

ooops (Large).jpg

I see you used PPBR, Ping Pong Balls on a Rocket. I really should get a trademark or a patent on that or something...

Number one actually looks pretty cool. Two, the looks of it could be improved with a V-2-style nose cone

I think those look pretty cool! Number two might also benefit from a "cockpit canopy" on that nosecone. And some cannons slung underneath.

Maybe a piece of stiff clear plastic laid over the struts might strengthen them.

On number one I think you have too much going on at both ends. I would keep the bottom as it is and replace the upper portion with a speciality nose cone. I think the BNC-50HJ from Semroc would look good. Its unique, but not overwhelming. It fits a BT-50 body tube.

Save the upper section for another rocket.

bnc-50hj.jpg

I agree, the middle one would benefit from either of the suggested nose cones. Also the lines of the long transition might be improved up by one or two low profile ribs of some suitable design.

Ya' know, some peoples failures are as good as my successes.

I'll third the V2 style Ogive for the 2nd one. The first one is pretty sweet, I'd switch the forward hab tubes out for ones the same size as the small aft one and it probably look a little cleaner. I think the struts look good there is a good combination of sweeping futuristic lines but hey I'm still a solid truss effect going.

Aren't we artistic types hard on ourselves!
I like the middle one, and while I don't know what a V2 nose cone is, one that's pointier would be better. It's a bit too snubby the nose cone you have on it now I think. Makes it look too cute, too much like a cucumber head instead of a rocket head that would be zooming around space. Really, though, I like the constructions! Love the struts on #1, so intricate and well done! :clap:The bottom part of #2 looks like one my baby would build so I'm liking it and bet he will too when he sees it. He's suffering from a nasty llama bite right now, :( and may not be up to typing much in the next day or two. And as to #3, you think he hasn't had that problem too? :) All part of the creative process.
Bravo on your builds!! :w:

Trudy
PemTech Art Department, moral support and right hand for the next few days.

i like them the first one is sweet looking nees the hj nose or an intercepter nose.

the secound is nise if you add the v2 nose

Aren't we artistic types hard on ourselves!
I like the middle one, and while I don't know what a V2 nose cone is, one that's pointier would be better. It's a bit too snubby the nose cone you have on it now I think. Makes it look too cute, too much like a cucumber head instead of a rocket head that would be zooming around space. Really, though, I like the constructions! Love the struts on #1, so intricate and well done! :clap:The bottom part of #2 looks like one my baby would build so I'm liking it and bet he will too when he sees it. He's suffering from a nasty llama bite right now, :( and may not be up to typing much in the next day or two. And as to #3, you think he hasn't had that problem too? :) All part of the creative process.
Bravo on your builds!! :w:

Trudy
PemTech Art Department, moral support and right hand for the next few days.

I am really digging having Trudy post here now. Seriously.

We need more Trudy commentary. :D

-Dave

Awwww!!!! That's so sweet!!! :blush:

Give that man a rocket cozy! :D
Trudy
PemTech's Art Department and temporary right hand,
who has seen pictures of Layne's llama bite and after anti-nausea pills and PTSD therapy is retiring for the evening.

I think the first one looks just fine Mike! It has the feel of the Discovery from 2001. Funny, I used ping pong balls on a model I built for a college rocketry project in 1992, 15 years before I had ever heard of "Shrox":rolleyes:.

DSCN5670.JPG

As a self-professed expert on Sci-fi spacecraft....
*cough*
:rolleyes:

You have the right idea, and with just a little refinement, they can be great ideas.

On #1: Love the intricate supports for the aft pods, very good work. Laying clear or translucent plastic over them is a good idea. The fore structure is a bit too busy, a little streamlining, like thinning out the habitat tubes would do wonders. A HOJO nose cone is a possibility, but I like the look of the spherical command section. Maybe splicing on a few inches of larger tubing and placing the ball on that. This would also give you the added volume for a larger chute for a slower decent.
ALso, you may want to try stringers running the length of the narrow midsection, both for support and looks.

Here is an example of how de-cluttering makes or breaks a rocket. The Arturus is an original design giving my take of the classic "Deep Space Probe". She is in the middle of rebuilding her after being physically assaulted by a renegade box of parachutes.

Arcturas_nebula.jpg

Arturas_bidnessend.jpg

#2- Man, I am digging those fin tip pods! Can you give us a run-down on how you made them? You definitely need to go with an ogive "pointy" NC, that would make the retro look complete. If you have a couple of different length NC's stick them on there and see what sings.
And Dick's idea about rings around the transition sounds pretty groovy. Or some secondary "radiator" fins between the main fins. Whatever you do you have, I repeat, HAVE to have a hatch decal somewhere close to the NC and a ladder ladder all the way down the tail cone. If you don't want to make one I'll send you a a sample.

#3- Well, it looks kinda silly. What idget would design something like that?
I mean, come on, Ballz?
:shock:

Too bad about the paint peeling, hit it with sandpaper and try again.

Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
Mike:
I really Like #1, as Others have mentioned it's a bit busy up front but hey...Your the designer...do what ya like;) Great Looking Craft!

#2 just seems tail heavy to me, perhaps a slightly smaller radius on the fins? She really does need a retro style NC to give it some character.

I Don't understand the problem with #3... just the botched paint? A little tape and it'll be good to go.

As for the use of Ping Pong ball on rockets, Much Earlier then that! Like rockitflite many of us have used them on models as far back as the 60's. They are almost as much a standard building material as Body tubes. Super light weight and tough as nails...Ya just can't beat that for Mod-Roc bulding material...just keep em away for the heat. I sure wish I could find some about half size for use on Micros!

Last edited:
Back