Disappointed in stickers

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Tramper Al, Jan 19, 2014.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 25, 2019 #31

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

Here's a link to his current website: http://www.sandmandecals.com/
    Not sure if he still takes it down for maintenance in the evenings.
    He only has some left over decals since his Alps printers went down.
    He's also selling a bunch of vintage kits for an associate.
    You could ask him if he could print a decal for you. As long as it doesn't contain white it may be doable.
    He has a huge file, worth a shot anyway.
    He also does custom wood turning here: http://roachwerksmachining.com.istemp.com/index.html

As for home printed decals, try using laser decal paper and a laser printer. Toner is not water soluble, so no clear coat needed. Maybe use a laser printer at your workplace, or Office Depot or MakerSpace? Or a public library? Just some ideas.
    Good luck.

2. Aug 26, 2019 #32

Bill S

Bill S

Bill S

Thanks. I don't have access to a laser printer at home, but maybe the local Office Depot does. Could be interesting telling the clerk there how to do decals. :)

3. Aug 26, 2019 #33

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

Just give the attendant the laser decal paper, or if they allow you, do it yourself. It prints like regular paper, just be sure to print on the decal side and choose glossy photo if there is no decal paper setting on the printer.I think they charge by the piece.

4. Sep 6, 2019 #34

nosecone

nosecone

nosecone

Oh that's unfortunate his printer died, they can be a major hassle to fix and costly. I was going to order decals for my Mini Bertha clone soon :(

5. Sep 6, 2019 #35

Homer_S

Homer_S

Homer_S

What should work is to gloss coat the whole rocket before applying the stickers. Then after the stickers, gloss again. If it is scale, top with a matte coat. This should reduce the patchwork look and help the stickers to blend in. Does the same with decals for that matter. Also, you can trim closely to avoid the clear edging with either. My issue with stickers is peeling up after a short time. I usually end up having to stick them back down with some CA glue and pray I don't smear or end up immortalizing my fingerprints.

Homer