Quantcast

Disabling page updates?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
Is there any convenient way for me to set Nutscrape so that it doesn't update the page everytime I click the "back" button?? That would solve the problem of disappearing "new" messages, and also make browsing these forums a lot quicker.

jflis

Reaction score
Ray,

I doubt that there is as I beleive it is not under the control of Netscape. If I recall how this forum code works, when you go to any particular page (either by linking to it or using a back/forward button) what happens is a *request* is sent to the code and the page is generated. There is no cache of the old page as the "html" doesn't actually exist

over-simplified, but I think that's basically it.

It would be interesting to see if there would be a way to log into the forum and have it take a "snapshot" of the entire forum that is good while you navigate then lost when you leave. That would probably be doable within the constraints of the code.

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Not quite right when dealing with IE (6 anyway) When I hit the back button I get a page from the cache. It doesn't go back to the server to retrieve the page.

After posting this I can go to my history and select the Search Results page and it will appear just as I have left it before I came here to post.

If it was going back to the server this post would then appear in the Search Post page, which it doesn't if I use the back button. If I use the View New Post link then it will refresh.

As for Netscape.... no clue how to turn that off.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I often hit the back button to get to the list of 'missing' posts. In case there was a 2nd (or 3rd etc.) page of posts that I may never even have looked at, I can then use the on-page links to see them too. IE for sure and I'm pretty sure Mozilla does this also. I just started with the latter, so I can't be sure of this.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
I don't know if it works in Netscape or not, but in IE, you can right click on the topic, open in a new window, read the thread, then close the window, without losing the list of new posts.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Is there any convenient way for me to set Nutscrape so that it doesn't update the page everytime I click the "back" button?? That would solve the problem of disappearing "new" messages, and also make browsing these forums a lot quicker.
Just a guess here -- open other stuff in a new window? Seems the first wouldn't update because you wouldn't be reloading it.

jflis

Reaction score
Originally posted by astrowolf67
I don't know if it works in Netscape or not, but in IE, you can right click on the topic, open in a new window, read the thread, then close the window, without losing the list of new posts.
I do something similar where I will right click (netscape) and open in a new window all of the forums with new threads, so you can do this with netscape.

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
Anyone know how to "open in a new window" when clicking on a topic, while using a Mac?? "Right-clicking" isn't an option -- there's only one button on a Mac mouse.

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Anyone know how to "open in a new window" when clicking on a topic, while using a Mac?? "Right-clicking" isn't an option -- there's only one button on a Mac mouse.
Never mind, I figured it out: Command-click. (Duh!)

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Netscape and Firefox (the latter of which I use) also have Tabbed Browsing features, kinda like having many windows open all in the same window. Nifty if I do say so myself; I often use it to navigate TRF while looking at EMRR, ROL Auctions, TQC, and various other sites all at once. Instead of shift+click or right click --> open in new window..., the command to open a new tab (at least in Firefox, I think in Netscape as well) is Ctrl+Click or right click --> open in new tab. Also, instead of Ctrl+N for new window, new tabs are Ctrl+T.

If this makes sense it will be a miracle. I'm going to bed now.