Dino hear blanket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a dino heatshied blanket and I researched the correct way to use them and found a couple different ways.

1) They layed the parachute in it folded up and folded the blanket around it, slide into the body tube and shock cord on top.
2) the person just bunched it up so it's covering all around the inside of the tube, pushed it down and put the parachute etc on top.

Which is the best and preferred method.
My rocket is 2.6in diameter and the blanket is 9x9.

Thank you

I fold up my chute, lines and put most of the shock cord inside the nomex blanket. It helps protect everything better that way.

I agree with method 1, but I also put a handful of dog barf above the ejection charges. Too many burn holes in my blankets over the years.

Now that I think about it. The only blankets I have without burn holes are the ones made from old air bags from wrecks. Cheap and work well if you seam the edges with aramid thread.

My rocket weighs 25oz and has elastic shock cord. I used a quick link and a swivel to attach the parachute to it like in the Apogee video. The swivel pack I got at Wally world and it's rated 100lb. Will this be ok

I would use Kevlar instead of the elastic, or at least put a nomex shock cord protector over your elastic cord.

I would love too and perhaps down the road I will, but I can't afford it at the moment due to losing my job over the COVID. Loss of work resulted In a bunch of us being made redundant.
Now with the war going on, when will things ever get better

Single deploy, JLCR, I shove the blanket in like plain olde Estes wadding. Then the rest of the shock cord, then the naked chute. Don't want the blanket fouling up the JLCR.

Dual deploy, I do the burrito.

Both of those, the blanket is tied way down low to the shock cord. The nose cone pulls the chute out and away from the blanket. Long LPR's get baffles, and I use a simple wad of blue jeans or old cotton shirt.

I "Z" fold the chute, roll it up and put it in the middle of the Nomex blanket. Fold the ends over the chute and then roll up the blanket and chute together. I put a handful of dog barf in then the Kevlar shock cord {Kevlar from Emma Kites} then the rolled up blanket and chute. The blanket is below the chute on the shock cord. I bought some nomex aramid canvas duck cloth from Amazon and make my own blankets. The cloth is nowhere close to as thick as Dino Chutes blanket. But it is inexpensive enough that if I only get half a dozen flights out of it that's ok. It lets me make a blanket the right size for the chute I'm using.

Back