Dilemma

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
I have found a new kit that I really want to build for my L2 however it is a 98mm kit. I want to convert it to fly 54mm motors. My question is is there a REMOVABLE motor adapter that I can use on this. I want a removable one because if I want to use this later in a 75mm or 98mm min diameter capacity I would like to have the option.

Also is there a CURVED (ELLIPTICAL) tail cone that would fit a 98MM tube down to a 54mm motor?

Ideally I want to build the rocket, have 3 different motor cases (54mm and 75mm and 98mm), 2 diff removable motor adapter tubes (98-75 and 98-54) and 3 different tail cones so that this rocket can be as adadptable as possible.

All responses much appreciated.

I think I will eat the cost of a 75mm reload with a removable 98-75 motor adapter... It seems I can get 2g reloads for relitively small amounts of cash if I don't fly often.

You can buy both a 75-98 adapter and a 54-75 adapter and nest them inside of each other. The 54-75 will fit in the 75-98 perfectly.

You can build one yourself; if you have access to some plywood, a drill press, along with a few choice attachments...

Has anyone out there seen a 75/76mm to 38mm adapter?

JD

adapter38mm.JPG

You can build one yourself; if you have access to some plywood, a drill press, along with a few choice attachments...

Has anyone out there seen a 75/76mm to 38mm adapter?

JD

ding Ding DING, JD wins, that's the best answer!:cheers:

I have found a new kit that I really want to build for my L2 however it is a 98mm kit. I want to convert it to fly 54mm motors. My question is is there a REMOVABLE motor adapter that I can use on this. I want a removable one because if I want to use this later in a 75mm or 98mm min diameter capacity I would like to have the option.

just a thought of caution....anything with a 98 mmt must be rather large, probably heavy. given you want to fly your level 2 on a 54, you are left with J-L. Most of us tend to cert on the Js, but have you done the sim to make sure you get this beast off the rail/rod with enough speed to be safe? Will it go high enough to ensure good parachute deployment? One of my L2 "ah-ha's" was how long it takes the bigger chutes to deploy.

Anyhow, good luck with your L2!
:pop:

Evidently it is a 4in. kit, I think :confused:

ok perfect. You just add a aeropack retainer that fits onto the body tube. if its cardboard get the LOC style if its phenolic get the PML style (the difference is the wall thickness). Then you can adapt all the way down to 38mm or even 29mm if you felt the need :p

Cbrarick hit the nail on the head. I think a 54mm in a 4" is fine even at J but always make sure.

Ben

Back