Digital Scale Recomendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpummil

Reaction score
OK, so...I'm gonna put this under Rocketry Electronics and Software as it is a complimentary component to the design software :D

What types of digital scales does everyone use to verify their builds against what the software says?

I came up with the following which is affordable and goes up to 13lbs: Pet Hobby 13 lb Digital Postal Gram Kitchen Scale

Adequate? Other options?

What are you trying to do with the weight?

if you are trying to get a good number for a rocket your going to fly, it would probably suit that purpouse well. But, it wont give you a "scientific" measurement.

My suggestion is to get one that can be battery powered, so you can take it to the field with you.

I have a small .1gram battery power pocket scale. (the kind you see occasionaly on cops..) and a bigger 15lb 1gram scale.. i use both together to come up with an accurate weight. By weighing the indevidual parts, and sections as a whole.
both are batterypowered, and come with me to the launch site....
i paid 9.99 for the pocket and 14.99 for the 15lb...
Both from harbor freight.

American pyrosupply, and other places that sell to the firework community have good "quality" scales for a budget for around 50.00

again its all in how accurate do you want it to be....

These guys have a huge selection of digital scales. I bought a high precision (.001 gram,IIRC) one, and a ~10lb 1 gram precision one from them, and they both work for my purposes. The high precision one came with both 1 and 5 gram calibration weights. Their primary drawback is the slow international shipping from China...

https://www.dealextreme.com/c/digital-scales-406

I have the second one from Harbor Freight as well.

Having such a scale has opened up a new dimension in rocketry for me. I take it with to launches and weigh each bird before boosting. I use the data to calculate drag on thrustcurve.org which gives me a better idea of altitude to expect.

What's your budget. At work we have $5000 balances, at home with
my ammo reloading I have $500 invested in balances?

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses. They've been most helpful!
Of course, the smaller the rocket, the more need for finer grained accuracy as 1 oz on a 15 pound rocket isn't much while 1 oz on a 1 pound rocket makes a difference! Most of the builds I'd weigh would be between 2 and 20 pounds. However, it seems that when you go above about 13-15 pounds, the price goes up substantially :eek:

These guys have a huge selection of digital scales. I bought a high precision (.001 gram,IIRC) one, and a ~10lb 1 gram precision one from them, and they both work for my purposes. The high precision one came with both 1 and 5 gram calibration weights. Their primary drawback is the slow international shipping from China...

https://www.dealextreme.com/c/digital-scales-406

These prices are very good, but what's the shipping costs?

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses. They've been most helpful!
Of course, the smaller the rocket, the more need for finer grained accuracy as 1 oz on a 15 pound rocket isn't much while 1 oz on a 1 pound rocket makes a difference! Most of the builds I'd weigh would be between 2 and 20 pounds. However, it seems that when you go above about 13-15 pounds, the price goes up substantially :eek:
You don't have to spend a lot to get a good balance today. With the electronics available today, it's pretty easy to measure 1 part in 10,000 with good accuracy (closeness to actual weight) and precision (repeatability). That would be 0.01 g resolution on a 100 g balance or 0.1 g on a 1000 g balance.

For weighing rockets, a hanging scale is a great advantage since it can be hard to sit the rocket on some scales. BartDoe's source has several hanging balances with 40 kg to 50 kg capacities that will work well for rockets.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/1-5-l...lectronic-weighting-hook-scale-45kg-max-35716 weighs to 45 kg (99 pounds) to 10 g, and to 10 kg (22 pounds) to 5 g. That's a really useful range.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/1-9-l...tape-calculator-50kg-max-20g-resolution-20313 and https://www.dealextreme.com/p/5-in-...lculator-tape-measure-clock-thermometer-16005 are interesting 50 kg (+/-20 g) and 25 kg (+/-10 g) scales respectively. They also have a clock, scale and thermometer built in so it could be useful for measuing environmentals. It's also useful for shipping cost calculations.

Calibration is important for very sensitive balances. Coins are perfect for checking the accuracy and resolution of smaller balances.

https://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications

Bob

I found a 0.1g scale at a kitchen supply store that has served me well and was $14.99. Try a local store like that and see what you can find.

I've purchased two of these, and checked each one out of the box against my reloading scale calibration weight set. Used per the instructions they tracked the calibration weights perfectly down through the 5 grain weights, any combination at or over 5 grains matched, and the counting function was flawless.

When I stacked smaller weights for 3 grains it would settle at 3 most of the time, occasionally 2. 2 grains, 1 grain, and <1 grain didn't land anywhere consistently. This is playing around at the bottom of the scale's advertised range and below the advertised resolution, so I was not surprised.

I wouldn't reload with it, but it seems like a fine bench/field scale for rocket components within its range, and I was very pleased to not have any calibration issues at purchase.

FWIW, this scale, and the last two digital scales I have purchased for office purposes all have a calibration procedure that involves a single expected weight (versus entering a value for one or more weights you might have). I imagine it makes the calibration software less complex. For any scale(s) you obtain I suggest reading the calibration procedure, and obtaining the necessary weight before you need it.

bobkrech said : These prices are very good, but what's the shipping costs?

The dealextreme homepage title contains "worldwide free shipping". And most items list "free shipping" near the price. They weren't always this way, but I guess they are now.

I've purchased two of these, and checked each one out of the box against my reloading scale calibration weight set. Used per the instructions they tracked the calibration weights perfectly down through the 5 grain weights, any combination at or over 5 grains matched, and the counting function was flawless.

When I stacked smaller weights for 3 grains it would settle at 3 most of the time, occasionally 2. 2 grains, 1 grain, and <1 grain didn't land anywhere consistently. This is playing around at the bottom of the scale's advertised range and below the advertised resolution, so I was not surprised.

I wouldn't reload with it, but it seems like a fine bench/field scale for rocket components within its range, and I was very pleased to not have any calibration issues at purchase.

FWIW, this scale, and the last two digital scales I have purchased for office purposes all have a calibration procedure that involves a single expected weight (versus entering a value for one or more weights you might have). I imagine it makes the calibration software less complex. For any scale(s) you obtain I suggest reading the calibration procedure, and obtaining the necessary weight before you need it.
This is totally expected and normal for a scale of this accuracy and precision.

1000.0 gram = 15432 grain or 0.1 gm = 1.5 grain. With most things digital there is a +/-1 to +/- 2 count precision uncertainty. We don't know anything about the electronics in the unit, so we don't know how the strain gauge current is processed. Digitizders have a 2^n count range. You need a 14-bit (2^14) digitizer to obtain < 1 grain resolution, but we don't know what is inside the scale. There could be a 16-bit or 12-bit digitizer. With the 16-bit digitizer, you throw out the 2 LSBs and with a 12-bit unit you need to co add at least 4 digitizations to get the 2 extra bits, and ideally 16 digitizations to get an result accurate to 14-bit.

When you want to weigh an item that is close to the resolution of the scale, you should excercise the strain gauge to reduce the sticktion of the mechanism. Take a coin and put it on the balance and remove it several times. This loosens the mechanism and flexes the strain gauge and gives a more accurate reading.

Also use a piece of aluminum foil or wax paper as a weighing paper to avoid putting powders directly on the scale. Also wear gloves. The moisture and oils from you skin can be transferred to the paper and change the scale reading by one count. Air currents and static electricity will also effect the readings of a sensitive scale by one count or sol.

So to get back to what you observed, in the digital word, if you try to weigh 1 grain on a digital balance with a resolution of 1 grain, you legitimately will observe 1 +/-1 grain readings for a 1 grain weight, 2 +/-1 grain for 2 grains, 3 +/- 1 grain for 3 grains, etc.

To weight something to a precision of 10%, you need 10 counts at a minimum,so you really need to get a balance that has a resolution of 0.01 gram to accurately measure 1 grain to 10%, and 0.001 gram to measure 1 grain accruately to 0.1 grain.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniqu...2-lcd-digital-scale-100g-0-01g-2xcr2032-65793 is good for measuring powder down to 1 grain to +/-10% with a range to 1500 grain.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/high-precision-portable-digital-scale-10g-0-001g-2-aaa-52751 is good for measuring powder down to 0.1 grain to +/-10% with a range to 150.0 grain.

Bob

Back