Digital camera?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scadaman29325

Catching up and tripping all over myself.
Reaction score
How cheap can I go and get a digital camera that takes a good pic for the net or email. I'm not trying to compete with the professional photographers, just something about as good disposable 35mm.

I think they are measured in "millions pixels" and "pixels per square inch"... Hi res, Lo res, # of pics stored, storage media, digital zoom, optical zoom...

How is the best way to test one before buying?

Any suggestions? Ones to stay away from?

around $50?

around $100?

TIA

Well, there are a lot of answers to your questions...... Many, Many options to pick from....... I would check the following sites to start........

https://www.digital-camera-reviews.info/

https://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/

And of course there is places like wal-mart, sears etc.....

Oh, it's great to have another rocket guy from South Carolina, do you know about Tripoli South Carolina and ROSCO?

Hi
I dunno about that side of the pond but I've seen them on Ebay UK for £19.95 and they would be fine for taking pics from a rocket, small too, and ok for general pics.
Dont expect too much and you wont be disapointed.
David

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
... Oh, it's great to have another rocket guy from South Carolina, do you know about Tripoli South Carolina and ROSCO?

I've heard of Tripoli and ROSCO but don't know anything about them. I believe Orangeburg has that big launch every month and that REALLY BIG LAUNCH once a year. Something about Massive Experimental Exploding Rockets...? :eek:

We are (re-)starting a club up here in Maulden, small field for now, but we found some sod farms near Greenville we're checking into. Most of these guys are Mid and High power, I still like the Low Power stuff.

and

DavRedf

Its not for the rocket, I've got one of those $10 Pencams from Walmart for that. one day I'll actually build my own Digital CamRoc. It's still in the toolbox for now. There's a nice webpage somewhere for it. Done downloaded it and printed it.

Originally posted by scadaman29325
How cheap can I go and get a digital camera that takes a good pic for the net or email. I'm not trying to compete with the professional photographers, just something about as good disposable 35mm.

I think they are measured in "millions pixels" and "pixels per square inch"... Hi res, Lo res, # of pics stored, storage media, digital zoom, optical zoom...

How is the best way to test one before buying?

Any suggestions? Ones to stay away from?

around $50?

around $100?

TIA

Well, be careful about a few things. For one, 35mm is 35mm be it a highend SLR or a disposable. There are few digital cams out there that can match 35mm film for resolution and clarity and they're in the $35,000 range and up, so... :)

For web and email, 1MP (megapixel) is fine and, by todays standards is about as low as you'd probably want to go. Also, these cameras are often available in the $100 and less range.

If you are looking to print them out and want them to look as nice as your photo lab pictures, you'd want 2MP for up to 4X6 prints, 3MP for 5X7 and 5MP for 8X10 prints. (even then, the decerning eye will catch it :) )

Don't just look at the megapixels either. A 3MP Olympus or Nikon will out perform a 3MP kodak, pound for pound, because they have better lenses and (for my money) better features.

Bottom line is, buy as much *camera* as your budget allows. If you're in the $100 range, look for a 1MP with 3X optical zoom (ignore digital-zoom, it doesn't do anything), with flash, rechargable batteries (use Nickle Metal Hydride (NMh), not NiCad). Very common these days are cameras with USB ports built right in, get that also, if you can.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! The one thing TRF is never short of is answers :)

jim

It is possible to find a 2+ mp cam in the $100 range. I found one for $150 - $50 rebate last year. It is an HP 612, and it is a great little camera. Whatever you choose, ignore the "digital" zoom. Only optical zoom is useful in any practical way. Digital zoom enlarges certain pixels, which leaves an unattrative blocky quality to the photos. Optical zoom enlarges the incoming image and spreads it over the all the available pixels.

I recieved a AGFA ePhoto CL18 camera from a friend, and so far I'm impressed with its capability. For me, my JamCam took horrendous pictures, and as long as I have a good light source, this one performs better.

See the link below for a sample:

https://members.tripod.com/silverleaf_design/id57.htm#sd

Its not expensive on Ebay, 10 to 15 bucks for the complete kit, and it does have a built in USB interface.

Cheers,

Back