Digital camera up and running again...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEntity1

Reaction score
Glad to see the rocketry forum alive and kicking again! :)

The flash still won't work right on my digital camera, but taking the smart-media card out and putting it back seemed to get me passed the problem where it wasn't taking pictures at all, all of a sudden.

Because of this, I now will have some picture for you folks :D

I've attached a picture of the completed motor mount on my Estes Big Daddy, and the fins 'drying' after being filled with Elmer's Probond. I'm heading off to my sister's for Christmas eve, so I won't have a chance to upload yesterday's pics until tomarrow.

This is my first rocket build in 20+ years, and my first through-the-wall fin mount ever. A couple things I would do differently next time:

1) Dry fit all the parts first!
2) Don't put on the read centering ring until *after* mounting the motor to the airframe and attaching the fins.

I wound up having to sand the fin-tab length down nearly an eighth of an inch, to fit between the rings. Also, fearing the fin tabs would not be deep enough, I sanded down the portion of the fins which glues directly to the airframe, to make the tabs deeper. Well, I got them slightly TOO deep...I had to fill the gap.

Once I upload yesterday's pictures, you'll see a picture of all four fins being sanded while held in a vise. I used scrap pieces of balsa between the vise and the fins to protect the fins. You'll also see a picture of three of the fins attached to the body tube, with both fillets on the upper fin, and the upper fillets on the other two fins. This morning Ill be turning the body tube over and attaching the last fin, along with applying the remaining fillets to the other two fins.

More pics!

Apparently only one image can be attached per reply, so I'll shall do so. I shall also make the pics available on my website later today.

This shot shows me sanding down the tabs to fit between the centering rings...

Here we have an image showing the first 3 fins attached, with both fillets on the upper fin and the upper fillets on the other two fins...

Here is the rocket standing up, with all four fins attached and filleted. Since I put on both centering rings on the motor mount first, as per instructions, the fins have no internal fillets :/

In this image, the launch lug has just been attached.

Unfortunately, these forums don't let one go back and attach an image when editing, so I have make another reply to attach the image I forgot on my last post...

The instructions said "follow instructions printed on parachute border to build 'chute"...

There were no such instruction printed on the chute...but then again...when I open the plasted bag, the chute turned out to have been pre-assembled. I hope whichever chinese factory worker did it, did a good job :rolleyes:

I also notice the chute doesn't have a spill-hole, or markings for one. I was thinking of using an old CD to mark a small spill-hole of my own on the chute. What do others think? Should I make the spill-hole, or leave the chute as-is? :confused:

Link to all the pictures that have been uploaded so far:
Rocket Building Images

The spill holes made in Estes chutes are usually done by cutting out the Estes logo circle. Also, I noticed you built the motor mount stock, with the elastic shock cord connected as per the instructions to the top ring. Check the shock cord there before and after each flight. It will tend to degrade quickly at that point. An in flight seperation can be prevented simply by doing pre flight and post flight checks. Since the chute was factory assembled, double check all of the knots. I've found a few that only had single knots instead of double. One more tip, no matter what type of wadding you use, stuff a sheet of the Estes stuff into the top of the motor tube before adding the rest in the main body tube.

Ok...two more pics for ya folks :cool:

This first shows the rocket after it was primed early yesterday...

...and here it is today, after it's second attempt at painting. I went to the local Hardware store and picked up some of their own enamal paint....both midnight blue to replace the stuff I had used the previous day, and some yellow for the nosecone.

This paint worked out much better than the other stuff. It was a little drippy, but this was due most to my haste to get the rocket finished before tomarrow's local launch at the Santa Fe Dam. After I try flying it tomarrow, I might try sanding it down again and putting on a new coat.

However, despite building the rocket basically stock, it has wound up very heavy...it weighed in fully finished at 7 oz! :eek: This means the C11-3s I purchased for it's maiden voyage probably won't work...I have visions of the ejection charge firing 1 second after it core samples :rolleyes: I'll have to see if I can bum a D12 from someone at the launch.

In this picture, you see the finished Big Daddy, sans decals. Next to it is also is the Supper shot E2X I put together for my young nephew. I was able to completely assemble that one in just 2 hours, heh :)

Back