DigBaddy's "Retro Thingamabob" Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigBaddy

It's OK to not know something
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Have had the urge to build something maybe a little retro sci-fi-ish, so I'm starting on it. I had a few active brainwaves that resulted in good ideas, so it was time to get going. There isn't much there yet, but I hope to make something functional and decent looking. Still designing in my head, on paper and in OpenRocket. It might be stable, it might not, we'll find out! When in doubt, more nose weight! Right?

Base parts, a rounded NC, some BT60 where some was removed due to manufacturing failure, and a "nozzle" (might not be used). Got basswood and balsa aplenty and all kinds of fun sizes of polystyrene stuff (thanks @Sandy H. ). Not sure on recovery gear. Might need to make a chute for it. Mylar for sure! Most importantly, I have thoughts doing their best Pong imitation inside my head.

I played with a finishing technique today, but you'll have to wait to see it. It turned out better than anticipated. Made the best looking toilet paper tube ever.

Some of the parts.

IMG_20220426_191400866.jpg

Low on BT60 24mm CRs, so I get to make some the hard way.

IMG_20220426_192306011_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Worked on an idea for stuff on the ends of the fins and built the motor mount after making the two layer centering rings. The fin shape won the most votes out of three designs by the rest of the family.

The pod cones were handles from foam brushes I initially used in finishing furniture. Kept them since they seemed useful. Put them in the chuck of my drill and with a 60-grit block, took them to a point.

IMG_20220427_185645947_HDR.jpgIMG_20220427_190907544_HDR.jpgIMG_20220427_165410260.jpg

This is cool
Very interesting 👍🏼

Worked on an idea for stuff on the ends of the fins and built the motor mount after making the two layer centering rings. The fin shape won the most votes out of three designs by the rest of the family.

The pod cones were handles from foam brushes I initially used in finishing furniture. Kept them since they seemed useful. Put them in the chuck of my drill and with a 60-grit block, took them to a point.

View attachment 516192View attachment 516193View attachment 516194

Made the nozzle a bit less plain with some styrene strips and minimal finger-gluing.

1651355686766.png

Covered the sides of the rear fin set with some aluminum tape. Not done with these yet.

1651355734473.png

Dug through the old bits and pieces bin and found some thin cardstock from the Saturn V kit that would be perfect for closing off the cockpit. Just cut some chunks, CA'd to the NC, then trimmed things away.

1651355820984.png

1651355834263.png

1651355849337.png

1651355861322.png

Nice, quite nice.
:cool:
But, oddly, I have a sudden compulsion to go use a fast food restaurant ketchup dispenser ... what's up with that ...?
🤔

Made the nozzle a bit less plain with some styrene strips and minimal finger-gluing.

1651355686766.png

A little more progress. Adding some odds and ends to the rocket for details. Got a couple hatches in place as well.

Was trying to find a name for it and was looking at some generic decal sheets I have and one has two "EXPERIMENTAL" decals. I think I'll chop them up into "PLANET LEAPER"

There are also five UNITED STATES decals, and lots of inappropriate ideas come to mind using those...so I'll stick to planet leaper.

IMG_20220502_190715872_HDR.jpgIMG_20220502_190658917.jpg

A little more progress. Adding some odds and ends to the rocket for details. Got a couple hatches in place as well.

Was trying to find a name for it and was looking at some generic decal sheets I have and one has two "EXPERIMENTAL" decals. I think I'll chop them up into "PLANET LEAPER"

There are also five UNITED STATES decals, and lots of inappropriate ideas come to mind using those...so I'll stick to planet leaper.

View attachment 516963View attachment 516964
The windshield and the alien pilot little dudes is a nice touch … very creative

Have had the urge to build something maybe a little retro sci-fi-ish, so I'm starting on it. I had a few active brainwaves that resulted in good ideas, so it was time to get going. There isn't much there yet, but I hope to make something functional and decent looking. Still designing in my head, on paper and in OpenRocket. It might be stable, it might not, we'll find out! When in doubt, more nose weight! Right?

Base parts, a rounded NC, some BT60 where some was removed due to manufacturing failure, and a "nozzle" (might not be used). Got basswood and balsa aplenty and all kinds of fun sizes of polystyrene stuff (thanks @Sandy H. ). Not sure on recovery gear. Might need to make a chute for it. Mylar for sure! Most importantly, I have thoughts doing their best Pong imitation inside my head.

I played with a finishing technique today, but you'll have to wait to see it. It turned out better than anticipated. Made the best looking toilet paper tube ever.

Some of the parts.

View attachment 516070

Low on BT60 24mm CRs, so I get to make some the hard way.

View attachment 516072
Nice work! I wish my cardboard centering rings would come out nice and tidy, with sharp, well-defined edges, like yours.

Got cruising on the last bit of tape (for the main body, still need to do the fin pods) after dinner. Fired up the new Jack White album and that was potentially motivational. Tape's all on, now to make the eleventy billion rivet marks...

IMG_20220508_191208734.jpgIMG_20220508_191159469_HDR.jpg

A little tedious doing the pods, but got two of the three done.

Need to do some testing to see if I can clear this stuff for extra protection and maybe avoid some edges peeling up. Got a TP tube ready to go to test it.

IMG_20220518_190433395_HDR.jpgIMG_20220518_190446000_HDR.jpg

The panel-and-rivets job is really impressive. Also love what you did with the tail nozzle + ring. Very nice.

Earns the coveted three thumbs up. 👍 👍 👍

Back