Dig Baddy's Aries - Red Tigress 1 Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sanded off the spackling compound on the maxi-Alpha, and when I say off, it means 99% of it. Using 400 grit, it takes too much off, leaving the depression it was supposed to fill. It's not the answer to my finishing techniques. What am I doing wrong?

Did you use a block? Perhaps it wasn't pressed into the seam and sat above it, allowing it to be sanded off.

Here's a shot I could find recently; but on the Doorknob I'm building. This is after sanding. No problem staying put. Did you perhaps also it to paint? (since that Maxi was already painted). That could also be it.

1670446489395.png

Did you use a block? Perhaps it wasn't pressed into the seam and sat above it, allowing it to be sanded off.

Here's a shot I could find recently; but on the Doorknob I'm building. This is after sanding. No problem staying put. Did you perhaps also it to paint? (since that Maxi was already painted). That could also be it.
I sanded the spackling compound , and this time took your advice and used a Duroblock, hard foam sanding block from my auto body days which solved my problems. The airframe is smoother than a newborn babies butt. Now, do you also use it for smoothing out imperfections in the fillets?
thanks

I sanded the spackling compound , and this time took your advice and used a Duroblock, hard foam sanding block from my auto body days which solved my problems. The airframe is smoother than a newborn babies butt. Now, do you also use it for smoothing out imperfections in the fillets?
thanks

I have yet to try it for fillets. Only have used Bondo spot and glazing putty for that since I seem to find them after hosing on the primer and that will stick to primer.

If you sand it close to smooth, you can use sandable primer to finish removing the imperfections. 2-3 coats of primer can completely remove tube spirals.

Slow progress, as I'm trying to do things in parallel with other builds where possible. Got the black on the nosecone at the same time as painting a single Doorknob fin black. Now ready for decals.

IMG_20221229_080612984_HDR.jpg

End result was a bit of a downer. The very fine decals around the fins were just too small to be applied successfully. Frustrating. So, tiny brush and no longer steady hands did what they could. Perhaps had I went with BT-80 vs BT-60 for this, the decals would have been fine. Oh well, I'll just fly it until it can't anymore, then build another.

IMG_1364.jpg

Latest posts

Back