Difficulty removing forward closure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHays

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had experienced difficulty removing the forward closure on my Aerotech 75/5120 motor after the use of a M-1297 the following day after the flight. (Everything is new, only two flights on it). I use Super Lube synthetic grease on all of the threads, O rings and liner. The forward closure went on just fine and I was able to hand tighten it down. But, upon removal , I had to eventually pad the jaws of my bench vise really well and clamped down the closure on the knurled portion and then it finally unscrews very slowly with resistance. The threads are in new shape, clean and well lubed.

I did a search and did not find much. If anyone knows how to prevent this, or has experienced this please let me know. Or, point me to the right direction on TRF.

Maybe next time I need to try to loosen the closure immediately after recovery??

Thank you!

Ok I will purchase a couple of good strap wrenches the next time that I am out and about.

Thank you everyone for your help and input on this!
Clean both the case and forward clouser, lightly grease and screw the front back on. If there is any resistance , more then the first two times , then the case has a thread issue. If not , it was most likely baked in grease.

Ok, I cleaned both thread surfaces and did a dry run. I can thread the forward closure on with my thumb and first finger. Then I put 3 small dabs of grease on the threaded closure and tightened it down and removed it with my thumb and finger. Works good. I think too, that I had maybe too much grease on the threads when I flew it? It looked like a lot.

I did pick up a couple of strap wrenches today.

Thank you!

Back