Differences between Estes Space Shuttle 1284?

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by ToneDeafJunior, Dec 3, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2018 #1

ToneDeafJunior

ToneDeafJunior

ToneDeafJunior

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Hello All,
    I just watched a couple of eBay listings for the Estes Space Shuttle 1284. One was not the Masters Series and sold for 76 bucks, the other was the Masters Series and sold for 157 bucks. Both listed as #1284. Does anyone know the difference between the two rockets?

2. Dec 4, 2018 #2

garlicsnapper

garlicsnapper

garlicsnapper

There’s no difference between the kits. Just the insert blister card. The original edition had the green background artwork, while the newer card featured actual photos of the finished model (the Master Series version). Both are skill level 4 kits which translates to the Estes Masters Series. Both are the exact same kit #1284.

3. Dec 4, 2018 #3

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

I have one that I bought off ebay a few years. Not in best of shape - plastic is yellowed. I scratch built a 1/100 instead - I should pass along the #1284.

ToneDeafJunior likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2018 #4

ToneDeafJunior

ToneDeafJunior

ToneDeafJunior

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Wow. Interesting to see the differences in prices from 2 kits ending minutes apart from the same seller.
    I see the new Estes Saturn V anniversary now suggests a E30-4 rather than the D12-3 in the past. I hope Estes re-issues the Shuttle and upgrades the motor too. Thanks for the heads up. I'm still perplexed as to the differences in sold prices. ???

5. Dec 5, 2018 #5

5x7

5x7

5x7

The original 1976 decal does not have Endeavor on it, and the later insstructions say it’s on the sheet. Also, the 1976 instructions have different painting instructions, because in 1976 no one had seen the later main tank with the brown foam.

6. Dec 5, 2018 #6

garlicsnapper

garlicsnapper

garlicsnapper

They both were opened, then re-sealed packages according to the description. Sometimes the differences can come from one kit being opened and the other bring factory sealed, although this was not the case here. It looks like the newer kit sold the highest out of the two. Yeah, there was quite a difference in price here!