Difference Between 30 minute epoxy and 5 minute epoxy is the hardener?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed that the blue bottle of “Epoxy Resin” looks the same in my 30 minute epoxy kit and my 5 minute epoxy kit. What looks different is the red bottle of “hardener”. In the 30 minute kit, the ted bottle says “2 ton” hardener. In the 5 minute kit, it says “5 minute” hardener.

So is the resin the same but the hardener a different formula?

IMG_5452.jpeg

IMG_5453.png

I can't be certain but it's quite possible that the epoxies are the same. The most common epoxy is DGEBA (diglycydil ether of bisphenol A). Manufacture-wise it's probably simplest to use the same epoxy resin and select/make/mix curatives with different cure ratios, cure times, viscosities, etc.

Just for fun, swap curatives and mix up a few drops of each, see how long they take to cure, do they both cure hard, etc.

I can't be certain but it's quite possible that the epoxies are the same. The most common epoxy is DGEBA (diglycydil ether of bisphenol A). Manufacture-wise it's probably simplest to use the same epoxy resin and select/make/mix curatives with different cure ratios, cure times, viscosities, etc.

Just for fun, swap curatives and mix up a few drops of each, see how long they take to cure, do they both cure hard, etc.
Good idea!

Back