Diego Area Rocketry Team (DART) December 19 2021 Launch: My flights and highlights.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today marked a unique occasion: bringing my girlfriend to the range.

I knew that she’d do well. She’s pretty accustomed to being safe on gun ranges and stuff, so I figured that the she’d consider the black powder smell familiar and pleasant, and the high level of organization reassuring.

I was right.

Together with an old client also showed up, she and I put the flyable portion of my rocket fleet through 9 flights today.

My Super Star Trooper flew three times. One was a successful two-stage flight on an A10-0T staged to a 1/2A3-4T, another was a two-stage failure in the same configuration, with the sustainer failing to light. The last one was that unlit sustainer motor flown in single-stage configuration.

My Generic flew five times on my stock of C6-5 motors. Each flight was successful, with recovery on the the field and no damage. I’m really glad the CG change and extra weight from my repair didn’t end up being a problem, and also that the crumpling of the forward body tube didn’t rupture or collapse. It’s in a condition for at least one more flight attempt.

My Hi-Flier XL flew twice, downrated to D12-5 power instead of the E12-6 for which it was designed.

My Goblin and my Star Orbiter stayed home. I had no motors that would keep the Goblin below the 1,000 ft ceiling, and I had no motors period for the Star Orbiter. They’re on back order, it’ll be a minimum of 11 weeks before they get here.

After today, my motor stock is beginning to look pretty depleted. Aside from a few APCP motors and a bunch of C6-0 / C6-7 motors, all of which I want to save for later projects, I think I only have enough motors for 6 flights or so.

Looks like it’s time for me to go shopping. I may end up getting a couple of kits as well, I’ve been kicking around some project ideas for a while.

Last edited:
Seems like someone has forgotten the first rule of TRF club. PICTURES, or it didn’t happen ! ;):cool:

My parents live in San Diego, and sometime I hope one of my visits matches up with a DART launch. It would be fun. When I was a kid, we used to fly rockets as a family on Fiesta Island, and I think they would enjoy seeing I’m still doing it all these years later.

I like going to non-high-power launches and flying the biggest rocket allowed under the club rules. So that’s usually a 4” diameter rocket on a large G motor to around 700 feet.

With an adapter you can run plenty of 24mm motors in a Star Orbiter. Not many that will keep you below 1000 feet, admittedly, but my Vapor (Star Orbiter with different fins and a 24mm mount) has flown well on D12s, E12s, and Q-Jets D22s and E26s. At some point I'll use one of the AT 24/40 reloads in it as well.

With an adapter you can run plenty of 24mm motors in a Star Orbiter. Not many that will keep you below 1000 feet, admittedly, but my Vapor (Star Orbiter with different fins and a 24mm mount) has flown well on D12s, E12s, and Q-Jets D22s and E26s. At some point I'll use one of the AT 24/40 reloads in it as well.
True. But I’ve already got two airframes that fly 24mm natively, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me to downrate it when I’m trying to get flights across my fleet.

My parents live in San Diego, and sometime I hope one of my visits matches up with a DART launch. It would be fun. When I was a kid, we used to fly rockets as a family on Fiesta Island, and I think they would enjoy seeing I’m still doing it all these years later.

I like going to non-high-power launches and flying the biggest rocket allowed under the club rules. So that’s usually a 4” diameter rocket on a large G motor to around 700 feet.
Please do. That’s always a show.

DART actually has a “Level 0.9” program that encourages people to do exactly this in preparation for Level 1. Test flight at Fiesta on a G under 1,000, fly the same rocket on an H with TRASD to certify.

Please do. That’s always a show.

DART actually has a “Level 0.9” program that encourages people to do exactly this in preparation for Level 1. Test flight at Fiesta on a G under 1,000, fly the same rocket on an H with TRASD to certify.

That “Level .9” program sounds like a great idea.

Back