Didn't want to spend Superbowl Sunday this way...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. The reason her homeowner's policy would pay your damages is because part of that insurance policy is liability coverage for her. It keeps you from suing her. Homeowners have to have liability coverage, because for example in this case if she had no liability insurance, and insufficient onhand liquid assets to pay the damages (to you for out of pocket, and to your health insurance for their part of the costs), she would get sued. The house, being her biggest asset, would be what you (and your health insurance) would be going after in such a suit. It could be sold off and part of the proceeds go to reimbursing you and your insurance company. Of course all this is very messy, takes a long time, and is very expensive to administer. Not to mention risky for the bank that holds the mortgage (what if the house is worth less than the outstanding mortgage minus damages?). So, all homeowners are required to carry a reasonable amount of liability insurance as part of the requirements for getting a mortgage. Sure it protects the homeowner, but mostly it's there to protect the bank's asset.

She is probably thinking to pay the out of pocket costs herself to keep it off the insurance records, because her rates could go up, or she might even be dropped by the insurance company and have to buy more expensive insurance somewhere else. But she probably doesn't understand that the big costs, which the health insurance paid to the hospital, are her responsibility as well, and no matter what you and her want to do, the health insurance co is going to come a-knockin' at her door. Best to do it cleanly, all through the insurance company. There really is no advantage to her to pay part of it herself.

@djs and @rfjustin made good points. It will be a while before the full extent of things is known, and the claim should be made immediately while everyone's memory is still fresh. Now that you have her insurance info, a claim should be made immediately. Just state the facts, and that you don't have all the bills yet, and you will be waiting to detail the specifics. Offer full cooperation in their investigation (expect them to be a bit skeptical). Always be positive and polite.

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.
That's excellent advice and that's exactly what I'm going to do I'm going to keep it clean I want to contact her insurance company Monday and my health insurance provider Monday give them the details and let them work this out together and let's see where the chips fall hope they'll get my out-of-pocket my missed time from work and some pain and suffering I agree I'm going to let the insurance company and my healthcare provider work it out amongst themselves I'm just happy I have her information so I can move forward

Again for the third time or fourth time I did not file a police report because when I call them they told me this was a civil case no police report is filed instead I contacted animal control which is a government agency and they document at this the police would not get involved unless a criminal crime has been committed
Dude, take a pill, I got it, we all got it. Pardon me for not taking the time to read each of your pity party, your long winded posts with unwavering focus and attention to detail. Sometimes the old college skim gets the job done! You got a funny way of being prickly to people who are genuinely trying to help you.

ngd.JPG

Dude, take a pill, I got it, we all got it. Pardon me for not taking the time to read each of your pity party, your long winded posts with unwavering focus and attention to detail. Sometimes the old college skim gets the job done! You got a funny way of being prickly to people who are genuinely trying to help you.

View attachment 406801

Sure

So it looks like I'm coming close to getting settled. My last email with the claims adjuster for the home owners insurance company she wanted to verify my out of pocket cost, how much my health care provider paid and where I worked and my hourly rate. It would be safe to say that I will get a check for those amounts and nothing more, which is just fine with me. I doubt I will get pain and suffering only because I didn't go with a lawyer. So at least I'll be able to pay off all my bills. The adjuster mentioned that they wanted to get all the amounts correct because once my health care provider finds out I have come to a settlement they will come after what is theirs, yet I did all the work. Funny when I asked my health care provider if they would be recovering my expenses they said no and that was my responsibility. Oh well

This is correct. You did the work, but the health insurance gets to recoup their costs. So it's good that the homeowner's insurance company is factoring that into the settlement.

Congratulations on hopefully a speedy conclusion and more importantly your health recovery.

Back