Did you mix too much epoxy? Don't just toss it in the trash can

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow made a silicone mold for stir sticks, scrapers, painter's pyramids, and other useful tools. When you mix too much epoxy---and who doesn't?---pour the excess into one of the places in the mold.

Using a stir stick you made from epoxy to stir the next batch of epoxy would be strangely satisfying...

Apparently the guy is selling the mold, but it wouldn't be difficult to make one yourself. Question for everyone: what items might be molded that would be useful, specifically for rocketry?

I would be interested in more information. I use tongue depressors currently.

I use various small wood parts from the doll house section of Hobby Lobby. For example the 1/12 scale fence staves are perfect for small batches and cost a couple $ for 500.
Might have to try those.

In his video covering the "universal greeblie" Adam Savage comments that the mold shop at Industrial Light and Magic would keep molds of random detail parts handy in which they could pour excess resin, yielding hundreds of extra copies for future projects. Go to the 2:35 point of this video:

Last edited:
I have about a half-gallon of 2-part silicone that's several months old, and I want to use it up before it gets un-useable. Planning to make a mat or two like this one, but I'm stuck on "what kind of rocket things to mold?" Depth of the mold would limit the type of object. Tim's suggestion of charge wells is a good one, likewise James' suggestion of greeblies. Perhaps small centering rings or bulkheads? Or even big ones; cut discs or rings of fiberglass cloth to fit the mold, for reinforcement. Rail guides? Thumbscrews or thumb-nuts (place a bolt or nut of the proper size in the mold).

Other ideas?

I have about a half-gallon of 2-part silicone that's several months old, and I want to use it up before it gets un-useable. Planning to make a mat or two like this one, but I'm stuck on "what kind of rocket things to mold?" Depth of the mold would limit the type of object. Tim's suggestion of charge wells is a good one, likewise James' suggestion of greeblies. Perhaps small centering rings or bulkheads? Or even big ones; cut discs or rings of fiberglass cloth to fit the mold, for reinforcement. Rail guides? Thumbscrews or thumb-nuts (place a bolt or nut of the proper size in the mold).

Other ideas?
13mm, 18mm, 24mm roundy nosecones to give away to kids?

Other ideas?
Please Continue this thread. I would love to learn from you efforts.

Back