Did you ever have a Wile E. Coyote moment?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonMises

Reaction score
Did you ever have a Wile E. Coyote moment?

I like to start of by mentioning that the particular rocket in question has never had a successful flight. On it’s maiden flight, the shock cord attach point on the nose cone failed. The chute returned the offending nose cone, while the airframe miraculously tumbled to a safe “landing.” No damage other than a few scuffs.

Repairs and a year later, my daughter decides to launch this particular pending disaster at TS 4. High winds and an Estes E engine don’t play well in a chubby Max. Immediately on liftoff, Max turned into the wind and stuffed it’s nose into the soft dirt.

Then it happened.

A vision of Wile E. Coyote with a grandiose plan involving an Acme rocket pack, Acme parachute, and a Road Runner popped into my head. I could see Mr. Coyote, leaping majestically into the air only to have the rocket pack drill him into a hole at which point the rocket burns out and the parachute deploys only after a short pause that quantifies comedic timing.

Although only the nose was stuck into the soft Indiana field, the tail stuck nearly straight up with engine running, burnout, short pause, then “POOF” the body tube pops up and the chute deploys.

I had to laugh, even though the daughter didn’t think it was so funny.

Was this the end of Max? Heavens no. Poor old Max was subjected to yet another torture test delivered by my well intentioned teenager. This time it was on a CTI V-Max something-or-other. Since the chute popped just before the body collided with the earth. I suppose this one was technically a success. This, and we were able to walk away. Althought Max managed to escape damage yet again, the day wasn't over.

By now, it devolved into a test of wills between a Max that refused to fly, and an equally stubborn teenage girl determined to force her resolve upon said Max. This time she chose the most powerful Aerotech that could be stuffed into same space previously occupied by an Estes E.

Finally, everything went according to plan. Record so far: three crashes, one success. Still, Max will live to fly another day, we learned a great deal about launching in high wind, and we had a great time.

Last edited:
You mean like where I'm wearing roller skates and have a big rocket stapped on my back? Not recently, no.

What kit is this and how was it built??

Later! OL JR :)

It's a 2.6 upscale of the Red Max based on left over Estes Excecutioner parts. Oddly enough, someone asked what it was made of.

Luckily it crashed better than it flies.

When I got back into rocketry about 5 years ago, one of the first models I bought was a replacement for the Estes Interceptor I had as a kid. On the maiden flight I put in a motor with not enough oomph and too much delay (a B6-4 or maybe B6-6 as I recall). There was a moderate wind and when it lauched it weathercocked into the wind in a graceful arc. Apogee came and went as I held my breath and it came in nose first and pranged into the grass with tracking smoke still coming out of the back. A second or so after impact, the deployment charge popped and the parachute actually manged to mostly unfurl and settled gently back on the nose cone which was still sticking out of the grass. My thought at the time was exactly that: "Wile E. Coyote Deployment". :) The good news was there was no damage at all. I cleaned the nose off, put a more rubust C in it and sent it right back up with great results. I wish I had been taking video though...

You mean like where I'm wearing roller skates and have a big rocket stapped on my back? Not recently, no.
Not recently?! lolz

Did you check the stability??
OL JR :)
Yea, everything was ok, just not enough "oomph" for a windy day as Nordgren pointed out. Believe it or not, in 40 years of rocketry, I've never launched in wind until TS4.

When I got back into rocketry about 5 years ago, one of the first models I bought was a replacement for the Estes Interceptor I had as a kid. On the maiden flight I put in a motor with not enough oomph and too much delay (a B6-4 or maybe B6-6 as I recall). There was a moderate wind and when it lauched it weathercocked into the wind in a graceful arc. Apogee came and went as I held my breath and it came in nose first and pranged into the grass with tracking smoke still coming out of the back. A second or so after impact, the deployment charge popped and the parachute actually manged to mostly unfurl and settled gently back on the nose cone which was still sticking out of the grass. My thought at the time was exactly that: "Wile E. Coyote Deployment". :) The good news was there was no damage at all. I cleaned the nose off, put a more rubust C in it and sent it right back up with great results. I wish I had been taking video though...
I knew there was someone else.:)

[video=youtube;A34em4HOXLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34em4HOXLA[/video]

Rocket never left the pad :(

Skip to :15

Back