Did ThrustCurve just get an update?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
I have been building a master list of my HPR rockets using data from Thrustcurve, so I have a shop-reference Pivot Table. A (previous?) bug resulted in the Excel output being in SI units regardless of preference of the HTML output, so I've gotten in the habit of automatically adding a column here and there and doing a quick mathematical conversion to get to my preferred thought-units (ft). Low and behold I picked up the project tonight after putting it down only yesterday, and am stunned that my 38mm Norad Pro Max is expected to hit 2000+mph and exceed 15000 feet on a CTI 38mm motor...after checking myself, I realized that I was applying my SI-to-imperial conversions to numbers already in the imperial unit...COOL! But now it doesn't match the previous several hundred lines of entry in my master list! Going to convert my preferences to SI, and run the extract again to see if it's resolved...

LOL...ok, now it ONLY downloads imperial units, regardless of what I have specified in my profile, exactly the opposite of the previous problem!

Rather than write a bunch of conversion formulas and hiding columns, how much data is actually NEEDED in a reference like this? I'm looking for a quick reference to help me select/order motors for my fleet, so knowing rail speed, max velocity, max altitude and optimal delay are what I THINK I need...do I also need things like lift-off weight, flight time, burn out weight, etc?

The code for ThrustCurve.org has not changed in quite a while, although motor information and simulator files are updated frequently.

I am working on a replacement for that site (although it's coming along slowly). The new site will respect your unit preferences even in downloaded spreadsheets. Give it a try and see if the problems you found are fixed:
https://thrustcurve.herokuapp.com/

I have been cleaning up a bunch of missing data, and a few erroneous motor files. That said, I have not been working on CTI motors- only Aerotech right now, and I did not change any units.

I am working on a replacement for that site (although it's coming along slowly).

[FONT=&quot]May I suggest a change in functionality? Would it be possible to have an option to select only currently certified motors be considered in the "Match a Rocket" simulation?

Thanks for listening.[/FONT]

The code for ThrustCurve.org has not changed in quite a while, although motor information and simulator files are updated frequently.

I am working on a replacement for that site (although it's coming along slowly). The new site will respect your unit preferences even in downloaded spreadsheets. Give it a try and see if the problems you found are fixed:

Very nice!! I love that you can customize the recommendations based on reload type and vendor, and that I didn't have to re-enter my fleet since it used my previous account info. Nice work, John, thanks for your continued efforts!!

May I suggest a change in functionality? Would it be possible to have an option to select only currently certified motors be considered in the "Match a Rocket" simulation?
I believe it does only search currently available motors by default, so if you see other behavior please send me exactly what you're doing. (Some motors may not be correctly marked, but we do try to keep their availability current.)

Another minor feature request :) Any chance we could make the number of grains more prominent in the phone app? in particular, for a given rocket it'd be nice to limit my search to a certain number of grain motors or smaller, and it'd also be nice when clicking through a simulation for a given rocket+motor to see the number of grains of that motor.

Thanks for the great app!

I do the same thing:
I add as many columns I need to get imperial with proper formulas in said column. I then have a spreadsheet that has both metric & imperial side-by-side.. Of course, my first job is to strip out all the motors I can't fly.. (No CTI hardware.. yet..)

Another minor feature request :) Any chance we could make the number of grains more prominent in the phone app? in particular, for a given rocket it'd be nice to limit my search to a certain number of grain motors or smaller, and it'd also be nice when clicking through a simulation for a given rocket+motor to see the number of grains of that motor.
We don't currently have info on the number of grains for a motor. The case is listed for reloads, though.

I do the same thing:
I add as many columns I need to get imperial with proper formulas in said column. I then have a spreadsheet that has both metric & imperial side-by-side.. Of course, my first job is to strip out all the motors I can't fly.. (No CTI hardware.. yet..)
In the new site, you can filter the results before running the guide, which allows you to skip manufacturers you don't care about:

rocket-guide.png

We don't currently have info on the number of grains for a motor. The case is listed for reloads, though.

Yeah I meant for case sizing. That info isn't available in the app though right when searching by rocket? Or am I going crazy...

You can manually filter for a shorter motor case by adjusting the mmt length to just a bit longer than manufacturers hardware length

Kenny

You can manually filter for a shorter motor case by adjusting the mmt length to just a bit longer than manufacturers hardware length

Kenny
Yup I know, that's what I do :) My minor feature request is that it is easier to apply filters (and look at search results) in terms of grains rather than hardware length. It's obviously not a huge deal though

Back to the original topic, I just made some improvements to the spreadsheet generation on the new site; now the numbers should be consistently formatted. Note that for this example, I selected "inches/pounds" as my preferred units.

View attachment motorguide.xlsx

On the new site, the file is a true Excel spreadsheet (XLSX). The first sheet is a summary and the second sheet has the table of results. I have viewed it in Numbers and the Excel viewer, but if you have a current copy of Excel, please let me know if you find any problems.

Back