Did this really happen?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mv1371

Reaction score
I am at a trivia night and one question was What did NASA buy at Wal-Mart to protect the space shuttle from woodpeckers ?

6 plastic owls.

I can believe it. When I worked at the Marina, many of the boat owners would put plactic owls on their boats to keep other birds away. Crap on the deck and such.

Down a ways ,there`s a strip mall with a Pizza Hut that has a few owls on the roof edge to scare away pigeons.

The pigeons sit on its head ( no kidding)
I guess they get used to the percieved treat ,and after awhile use it as another place to roost.

P

I can see it. Plastic owls, rubber snakes, etc. are frequently used on DoD flight lines, along with propane cannons, falcons, etc. Even at Boeing we do the plastic owl thing. The trick is to move them.

Funny thing though, recently our local community college wanted to deter canadian geese in their ponds, so they put up cardboard coyotes near the pond. Funny thing is, the pond's full of ducks and geese and night - as the coyotes can only be seen during the daytime. :p

I guess that since this was NASA I was expecting a million $ high speed, low drag solution. But if low tech works, then good for them!

Naaa, it would only be a million $ owl if they let a Government contract but as they went to Walmart instead they got the low speed, high drag solution.

Now, if NASA would have written a contract to be filled they would have expected the owls to fly to new roosts on their own and have a ASB System(anti-small bird) Cost overruns could easily push it to a million per Owl.;)

I can see it. Plastic owls, rubber snakes, etc. are frequently used on DoD flight lines, along with propane cannons, falcons, etc. Even at Boeing we do the plastic owl thing. The trick is to move them.

Funny thing though, recently our local community college wanted to deter canadian geese in their ponds, so they put up cardboard coyotes near the pond. Funny thing is, the pond's full of ducks and geese and night - as the coyotes can only be seen during the daytime. :p

Again...down the way,there is a pond at a business complex that has a few plastic fox decoys to deter geese.

Results.....----------->>>>>:neener:

P

One of the local airports (SYR) uses them and they also have plastic flamingoes at the end of one runway for fun

Back