Did I handle this correctly?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut56

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend, I wanted to go to the launch in TriCities, but my son flew in for the weekend. I had some new builds I really wanted to fly, so I went to large field a couple blocks from my home with my son to launch 5-6 LPR. I have flown from this field before,and have followed NAR rules. Last year, one of the neighbors ask me to move down a little, because he was concerned about the wadding falling in his yard (I said sure and moved a away from his property, although due to the wind direction, I hadn't seen any wadding falling in his yard). This past Saturday, I went back to the field (well away from his property) and set up my tri-pod and started launching. As this was first flight for the rockets, nothing was going over 350-400 '. Shortly after I had launched a couple, the same guy came out and said he wanted me to stop launching because he was concerned about me setting the field on fire. He also said he had a guy working on his house who had ask about flying a drone in the field, but he had told him no. Now this guy doesn't own this field (neither do I), so I told told him I was concerned about privacy issues with drones (he wasn't concerned about privacy, he just didn't want the guy using the field). The guy then said he would call the cops on me , so I offered him the use of my phone to make the call. After a few words were exchanged, I decided address his concern about the causing a fire. I pointed out the field was grass was short and green (there had been rains a few days before). I then removed a spent motor casing and explained how BP motors work (he thought I was making the motors).I ask him if they were that dangerous, would Hobby Lobby sell them ? I then told him about being in NAR and that these motors had to be certified. He ended up asking if he could watch a launch , which I gladly agreed to. He left, I think still wishing I would go away, but not as concerned as before. Has something like this ever happened to you, and if so, how did you handle it.

I had a similar event last Fathers day. Here is South Dakota there is a lot of Open space; perfect for Model Rocketry, albeit the winds.
I live in a neighborhood at the north end of a large field, but like a lot of this land , its privately owned. I set up with my nephews to launch a few small models, and within minutes there was a truck and a man asking what I was doing. Turns out he lives nearby and watches over the field for the rancher. He was concerned with setting the field on fire as it would greatly affect his grass feed harvest.
After talking to him about it...I really believe he did not understand what model rocketry was all about. He just knew fire came out the back end. I could not argue at all, as the giant field was privately owned. It was once all field until the neighborhood was put in like 20 years ago. I knew my only part of this whole big prairie was a plot about 4 streets down with a gray house on it.
I felt he overestimated the danger of model rocketry due to a lack of familiarity with the hobby. He really seemed to think it much the same as fireworks. I simply packed up and move on to another field. The nephews crying all the way down the street...… I simply drove to another field so they could fly their newly built models.
After it was all over, I absolutely had respect for the Land Owners wishes, but yes, I felt frustrated. I wish I would have done a better job explaining to him and pleading my case like you did. I have flown many rockets and experienced CATOs, flying motor casings, watched a spinning motor land on a porch and even erupted my high power model into flames on the pad. But have not seen a grass fire from Model Rocketry. NOW I AM NOT Saying it doesn't happen, I just think the hobby is really quite safe as long as rules are followed.

Perhaps as time passes.... less and less people know what Model Rocketry is...….

I have seen grass fires from Model Rocketry and High Power Rocketry. The first one that started with a model rocket was a burn caused by the ejection charge of a rocket that landed in grass after flying from a too small launch rod. They are scary as possible and can be difficult to put out, especially if there’s wind, but as you point out they don’t typically start in short green grass. We always rake around the launch pads (as specified by our safety code) to get rid of dry or loose grass which is just as possible to burn now as it was in the fall.
I would always make sure to have landowner permission before launching. That conversation explaining how safe Model Rocketry is and has been over the last 62 years is much easier to have with landowners and neighbors before they’re upset or frightened. Then, make sure you have a fire extinguisher. Even a small fire extinguisher works better than trying to stomp out a fire.
As a member of one of the organizations (Tripoli or NAR) you can and should tell the landowner about our record of safety and about the insurance which protects you and their property as long as you follow the Safety Codes. Both organizations have insurance pages on their websites that explain how their insurance works.

Last edited:
I think you handled it beautifully. Especially offering him your phone to call the police. That was an immediate indicator that you were sure that what you were doing was not illegal. Took the wind out of his sails, and opened the door to conversation.

I was once in a huge field with a friend getting ready to launch my brand new G-Force with a G load in my AT 29/40-120. I was on private property owned by a business, which I didn't know, and two security guards showed up. When they saw what we were doing, they said we had to leave, but that we could launch the rocket first! I thought that was hysterical. Unfortunately, I had built the rocket stock, and the motor wouldn't fit. I didn't have an SU, so we couldn't launch. Pretty funny that the guards wanted to watch before throwing us out!

To the original poster, I think you handled it well with one small exception:

You said: "He also said he had a guy working on his house who had ask about flying a drone in the field, but he had told him no. Now this guy doesn't own this field (neither do I), so I told told him I was concerned about privacy issues with drones (he wasn't concerned about privacy, he just didn't want the guy using the field)." What privacy issue is there with a drone being flown on a semi-public field? Who even knows if the drone had a camera and would be recording, but out in public (sem-public) space, I doubt you will be doing anything that poses a drone-based privacy risk, and even so, the drone guy would have about as much right to do his thing on the field as you would. One should assume anything done in public is recorded, anyway.

Unless there's a local ordinance concerning these issues, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about the other's hobby. What really matters is the opinion of the landowner, and if there isn't one that is practical to contact, it's risky business flying there. I fly at a club (with permission of the landowners), and at a local park that has mixed use fields which hasn't been a problem but causes me great social anxiety. The park doesn't post a no-rocketry sign (or on their website), but I don't have explicit permission either. Neither do the people flying kites, for that matter.

But, I think you handled it well overall. Bottom line, when he left he probably had less concern than when he arrived. Had he called the cops, they probably would have kicked you out unless the field is designated public use, or you have written permission from the owner.

This sort of interaction is tough. It can lead to the loss of a field. The most important part is to remain calm and address their concerns in polite and considerate manner. As far as fires, I caused on one my own farm.

Congrats on staying calm, explaining Rocketry.

Getting permission of landowner is key (having his or her phone number programmed into your phone is an extra plus.)

Yes, I have seen a grass fire caused by a low power rocket that went unstable and landed in grass about 40 feet from pad. It was mid winter, grass was mowed crab grass, and it caught fire. I stomped it out.

Inviting spectators to watch you prep the rocket, and from a safe distance participate in the countdowns also often wins you points. Having a saucer rocket or something small to launch to start with helps too.

Double or triple check your recovery system whenever you have spectators that aren’t familiar with Rocketry. Ballistic recoveries shouldn’t happen, and will lose you major points.

I launch at a local park, and try to find times when the park is mostly empty.

I think you handled it very well. You were polite and also stood your ground and refused to be bullied by someone who simply didn't like what you were doing in a public place. As long as there were no ordinances against what you were doing you had every right to be there.

Perhaps he's overtly concerned about 'privacy' when he's honking his wife in the back. Otherwise, what's so 'private' that he needs to be concerned about?

I think you did a fantastic job. I left this thread about an hour ago and have had time to think more. In that time, I thought about low power group that lost their field after a verbal altercation with a neighboring landowner. It is important to maintain composure and an outward mindset when someone is confrontational with you about launch rockets. If you address their concerns without being dismissive, you may be able to convert.

I often take the approach that I share their concerns about safety and that is why I approach every flight with added safety reviews. Insurance is a good discussion but you have to use it appropriately because it might just justify their concerns.

Back