Did anyone fly the "Porta-Pot Shot?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer!

Oh well.

fins integrated into the rocket? That would be cool, although they would not be clear. Maybe mock bushes or something else from around a construction site?

concur, with few modification would work for the Tardis or an old fashioned phone booth.

I can work on clear once I have a demo flying.

I can work on clear once I have a demo flying.
sounds great.

not sure if lexan clear is more breakable than regular plastic. Might be cool to have molded fin slots for lexan fins, go rear eject to safe the fins. Plastic vent pipe would make a nice integrated lug.

After a night of printing, I have decided to do the print in 6 parts. I will start with 3mm think fins and a 24mm motor mount. I have no way to test stability so I will launch it and see what happens.
Use the swing test.

What about using crepe paper or something to make drag stability. The simulated toilet paper seems fitting.

outstanding. Someone should kit that!

I still think it’s just begging’ for rear ejection. Could you make it as one piece (you could paint the top white), and would it structurally handle the ejection blast?

black is kind of a rough color, I mean in summer it’s hot enough inside one of these puppies when they’re blue, and you wanna make it black?

how much you charging for these? I’d love one!

There was a guy out of Oregon, Alex IIRC, making kits like this ~2003

I'm pretty sure he started with a bank made by these people:

ShapeMaster

Some for sale here:

https://www.zpagdesign.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=884907

Porta-Potty-Banks3-274x300.jpg

ETA- it was the Lil' Johnny. mentioned in the old thread linked in the first post

Here is the flight video. It is not great but it flew on a D12-3.

Congrats. Hope you had some fun out there doing something other than Covid for a change.

yours flies better than the original. Of course, the original was underpowered.

Congrats. Hope you had some fun out there doing something other than Covid for a change.

yours flies better than the original. Of course, the original was underpowered.

I am going to print another and fly it on an F.

Why? I am planning on making some for our local club. I had 10 requests on a single field.
Chuck, you are just too mature and clean minded for my adolescent level humor! Especially when I just finished day 7 of straight night shifts covering the local hospitals and ERs.

that said, I’d love to see a 1 to 1 scale model. You are level 3, you could do it!

I’m not surprised you’ve had requests, it’s a design that has just been waiting for someone to do RIGHT, and finally the technology has caught up with the interest and the talent, and you nailed it. I think the Aussie term is, “Good on ya.”

absolutely kit this up! I’d love one (but I’m okay with the “D” version)

Chuck, you are just too mature and clean minded for my adolescent level humor! Especially when I just finished day 7 of straight night shifts covering the local hospitals and ERs.

that said, I’d love to see a 1 to 1 scale model. You are level 3, you could do it!

I’m not surprised you’ve had requests, it’s a design that has just been waiting for someone to do RIGHT, and finally the technology has caught up with the interest and the talent, and you nailed it. I think the Aussie term is, “Good on ya.”

absolutely kit this up! I’d love one (but I’m okay with the “D” version)

I appreciate your ER coverage. Are thing getting back to normal? I have been working on a restoration of services plan. With the pending mandatory vaccination efforts, I think we will be back by August.

Rear eject with treated toilet tissue wadding?
For realism stained on the outside and inside?
Never mind.
Aside from the theme appropriateness of rear eject, a wide short rocket like this with a tough built nose cone (or pyramid or roof) would benefit from rear eject and be easy to pack.

motor mount fitted with two centering square# (since they aren’t rings), fixed to mount tube, slides into body

kevlar shock cord from forward centering square to inside of nose/roof.

plenty of room to fold the chute around the central motor tube between the centering squares.

no wadding needed. May need a replaceable shock cord, it will get toasted a bit each flight between the mount and the roof.

Aside from the theme appropriateness of rear eject, a wide short rocket like this with a tough built nose cone (or pyramid or roof) would benefit from rear eject and be easy to pack.

motor mount fitted with two centering square# (since they aren’t rings), fixed to mount tube, slides into body

kevlar shock cord from forward centering square to inside of nose/roof.

plenty of room to fold the chute around the central motor tube between the centering squares.

no wadding needed. May need a replaceable shock cord, it will get toasted a bit each flight between the mount and the roof.
Perhaps a tiny Whoopee cushion for audio accuracy.
I'll go to my room now.

I flew my 3D printed version. I will confirm the stability and post the files after our July Launch. I have 3 flight and it flew well.

Back