Devcon Apoxe... 5 minutes and "2 ton"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
Has anyone used these? The 5 minute is currently drying on a phoenix fin that snapped off. Im wondering if these will be strong enough for mp rockets (i guess the 5 minute to tack it on and the 2 ton to reenforce?)

Thanks

--sheeep

I have used them on a Loc IV and I used this other stuff that was pasty on an EZI, it worked well

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
Has anyone used these? The 5 minute is currently drying on a phoenix fin that snapped off. Im wondering if these will be strong enough for mp rockets (i guess the 5 minute to tack it on and the 2 ton to reenforce?)

Thanks

--sheeep

Both types are stronger than the wooden fin.

Devcon is OK, but it is a little too thick and expensive for my tastes (but will do in a pinch).

I use these 2 almost exclusively for my epoxy needs. (I'm rather fond of their particular style of syringe applicator.) The 2-ton is extremely strong, and extremely hard when dry. The only way to remove it is with a dremel or similar tool. The 5-minute is plenty strong, and does indeed set up in 5 minutes. It sands a little easier than the 2-ton, but it's still purty durn hard. If your fin is anything less than fiberglass or graphite laminate or 5-ply 1/4" plywood, the epoxy will be stronger than your fin/body.

WW

Originally posted by solrules
Both types are stronger than the wooden fin.

Devcon is OK, but it is a little too thick and expensive for my tastes (but will do in a pinch).

Zackly! If you get a good fit between the pieces.

All I ever use is Devcon 5 minute, except for motor retainers. It is a little thick. I guess I've just learned to adjust to it.

Expensive? The 5 minute is $10 for 9 ounces (combined) at Lowe's. I've never priced it beyond picking up this and JB Weld. Is this expensive?

I've never had much luck with any syringe-application epoxy, Devcon or any other brand. They would always get clogged up, and I would rarely get an equal amount. :(

I found the joys of true 2-part epoxy packaged in a bag with two separate bottles. I have really really enjoyed using this kind of epoxy, because in conjunction with a measuring cup, I can get perfect amounts dispensed at any one time. Also, I use popsicle sticks to mix and scrape the epoxy to get a perfect mix.

You can get it online from Hobbylinc among other places.

Jason

better yet, pour the epoxy into duplicate liquid hand soap dispensers, and count storkes on each bottle to get you ratios-- I use Raka epoxy, so I use 2 strokes and 1 stroke.

Perfect small batch every time!

I used to use both. I stopped using them, not because they weren't good, but because I now buy West Systems in bulk.

rabid:
I use both on a regular basis.. micros to LMRs. both are great epoxies. by adding coloring dies or even a few drops of paint you can match the model repair or make some very interesting effects on fillets. I find Devcon materials a little more flexable over time also. It's good stuff even if a bit on the pricey side.

well i gave it overnight for the 5 minute stuff and it hasn't dried, kinda just a flexible seal...

not mixed enough? not even amounds im guessing?

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
well i gave it overnight for the 5 minute stuff and it hasn't dried, kinda just a flexible seal...

not mixed enough? not even amounds im guessing?

If it's not mixed well or in proportion, it can take longer to cure. The 5 minute is flexible until it does. On the other hand, you can carve it until then, just something to keep in mind. Give it time. Or give it heat. Can you heat it up to 120 to 140 for an hour?

Hint: closed car in the sun.

Originally posted by jetra2
I've never had much luck with any syringe-application epoxy, Devcon or any other brand. They would always get clogged up, and I would rarely get an equal amount. :(

Even better way: cut out a 1/16" strip out of the black handle with an xacto knife. Now you can squeeze one tube more and not affect the other. Never had a problem with clogging.....just use a toothpick.

DynaSoar:
Devcon is about $1.11/ounce.
If you get quanitites of West System Epoxy, it is about $.50/ounce. Plus you can add in different hardening substances, different additives, etc.

Originally posted by DynaSoar

Hint: closed car in the sun.

If you choose this option, make sure you are able to leave the car open for a while afterwards to let the fumes ventilate out. You won't want to be driving it for a while afterwards, but the hot car should definitely do the trick.

On the other side of that, though, is that some yellow and white glues soften in that kind of heat, and could cause other problems. I found that my small electric space heater, aimed directly at the rocket from a distance of about 3 feet, placed on my porch, does the trick pretty well for acceleration.

If the parts aren't mixed well, or they aren't in proportion, you'll never get them to cure right. Solutions are to wipe it down with denatured alcohol, apply another coat of epoxy that IS mixed properly, or try some form of a powder (like talc) that will help with the tackiness (if present).

To get the devcon to come out of the tube evenly, let it sit for a minute or so with the cap on and the nozzle end pointing downward. That will get all the bubbles out of the nozzles, and you'll get an even flow of both resin and hardener.

Once you have the amount you want, mix it up in your cup, then decant it into a second cup for another round of mixing. This helps to make sure it's well mixed. After that, you'll be getting close to the midway point of your 5-minute pot life, and you'll have to work fast to get it poured and shaped before it starts getting sticky, tacky, and eventually getting strings like long taffy.
To thin it, you can add just a touch of denatured alcohol, and it will make the pot life last a little longer, but it will also weaken your joint a bit.

WW

well, i mixed another small amount on a peice of paper, mixed it up with my finger, and put it on

its been 14 hours since i did that one, with it under a heat lamp for 8

still not try

... would it help to add more of one of the solutions?

edit...

well after 2 days it seems strong enough to hold just the fin and it can hold up the whole body tube, but still it seems sticky and wet

more hardener im guessing?

edit again...

Well the talcom powder tricked worked alittle, most of the flexibility is just in the paper BT, and i made another bit of it to use on another fin, and this one seems to be drying alot better... the only thing i did different was try and mix it more thoroughly and wait for it to get tacky

Back