Deuces Wild

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by havoc821, Feb 13, 2003.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 13, 2003 #1

havoc821

havoc821

havoc821

After seeing many pics of the Deuces Wild I am tempted to make my own scratch built. I was wondering if any body had plans for it (18mm and/or 24mm motors). BTW what angle are the motors mounted at? Thanks. :)

2. Feb 13, 2003 #2

eugenefl

eugenefl

eugenefl

Dude, it's only $13! Besides, being that it is so new, I don't think anyone is planning on making templates or plans for mass distribution on the web any time soon.

Besides, I think Jim has those angles and templates in a BIG whoppin' safe. :D (Probably more secure than the Colonel's secret recipe!) :D

I know scratch building would save you a couple of bucks and may provide more of a challenge, but I think for the $13 you'd get nearly all of your money back in components and in having the plans on-hand. Then you could upscale from there.

(Long story short - I was too excited when I got my kit to make copies of anything or pay attention to the angles. :eek: )

3. Feb 13, 2003 #3

jflis

jflis

jflis

Eugene: thank you :)

havoc821: yea, please place an order, you won't be dissappointed, I can assure you.

Besides, if you purchase a kit, you get the laser cut rings (only available at FlisKits :D ) rather than have to cut them out like all of the poor souls from a few months ago...

I assure you that FlisKits will last longer and grow faster/better if folks *buy* our kits rather than just copy them (selfless plug :D :D )

jim flis

4. Feb 13, 2003 #4

airforce

airforce

airforce

10-4 on the buy idea. I bought 4 when the balsa was still warm. I think it's such a good value I'm thinking about buying 2 more and straping them both to the sides of a big ole tube and light'n up all 4 screamin, smoken engines, this is one cool, kool, kewl kit.
    I've been waiting for the release of the 2 newest before placing my order. I take a look at Jim's sight about everyday, I'm afraid I'm going to miss a new release.
    I will be sending my order for 2 Deuces and 1 each of your new ones.
    Do you think the bank will give me a loan for a rocket room addition???:eek:

I love supporting a company that has good stuff.
    Thanks for the great kits Jim.
    Randy

5. Feb 13, 2003 #5

airforce

airforce

airforce

Hey Jim,
    How about a new rocket combining your Deuce and Richter. Use the body tube of the Rickter and strap a Deuce on either side,
    I would call it Double Deuce. Just think of the possibilities, you
    could use. 3 D's and 4 outboard A, B or C's. You could only use 1 outboard in each Deuce, use 4 C's in the outboards and none in the main. Stop me, please....
    Randy

If someone wanted to strap a couple of Deuces to a BT, what
    size and length do you think it would need?

6. Feb 13, 2003 #6

jetra2

jetra2

jetra2

How about just a single motor pod that has a canted motor tube?
    i.e. Araine

Maybe Mr. Flis could offer a pod that you could hook/glue on to the side that has a motor tube canted at 10-15 degrees or so. Then maybe in three different sizes 13mm, 18mm, and 24mm.

Also, how about an optional modification/attachment that would have the standard two motors on the Deuce of to the side at 2-4 degrees from straight so that the rocket will spin on the way up.

Jason

7. Feb 13, 2003 #7

jflis

jflis

jflis

oh man, youse guys is killin' me!

ROTFLMAO

8. Feb 13, 2003 #8

crashinj

crashinj

crashinj

:confused: What? Laser Cut Rings? Oh man, what a deal. I'm one of the lucky/unlucky ones who had to cut my own rings. Geez, you have it made, order you one, its well worth it. The DW is one of my favorite rockets!!!!

:D
    Crashin J

9. Feb 13, 2003 #9

airforce

airforce

airforce

Jim, that's not the response we were hoping for. I hope that doesn't :kill: my idea.
    Randy

10. Feb 14, 2003 #10

jflis

jflis

jflis

*S* not at all, Randy. You'll note the email I sent in response to yours.

But, more than anything, what I meant by "youse guys is killin' me" is, (and this is what I love about TRF and rocketeers in general) is that there is nothing fine enough about any rocket that it can't be made "finer" in a heartbeat! :) :)

That Stealth/Military DW is a perfect example!

It's one thing to be tickled at all of the creative ways people will modify a kit...

...I gotta tell ya, it is QUITE something else, when it's your own kit design they're talking about! :D :D

11. Feb 14, 2003 #11

jflis

jflis

jflis

Crashin J, cutting rings builds character, so yer still ahead of the game!

(do I sound enough like a parent yet???) ;)

12. Feb 14, 2003 #12

SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

With all this talk about adding power to a DW or joining multiple DWs together, I wonder when somebody is going to glue several together to try and qualify for an L1 launch. :D

13. Feb 14, 2003 #13

eugenefl

eugenefl

eugenefl

Wow! I thought I was the only wierdo that looked at the site practically every day so not to miss anything new!!! I think the biggest anticipation I had as a kid was waiting to send off my $1 for a new Estes catalog. I guess the FlisKits website reminds me of those days.

I must say, the Columbia tribute was certainly admirable and was done very honorably. I wasn't expecting to see that on the front page. My level of respect for FlisKits kicked up several notches.

Like airforce, I love supporting a company that has great stuff and great prices.

14. Feb 14, 2003 #14

jflis

jflis

jflis

that is a big part of how we want to be persieved by the BAR community. To say that a lot of what we do is like the "good old days" is not a bad thing (though, non-rocketeers may think so). The way rocketry was done in the 60's/70's is what created the kind of passion and devotion to this hobby that all us old folks understand. I intend to cater to that for two reasons.

1) It satisfies a need like nobody else can

2) The new model rocketeers will benifit from it just as we did 30 years ago.

Thank you

15. Feb 14, 2003 #15

havoc821

havoc821

havoc821

I didn't know how much the rocket had cost, and feel kinda stupid now because it is SO cheap for a cool rocket like that. I might buy the Dueces Wild, and maybe make an upscale later. Thanks for the info.

16. Feb 14, 2003 #16

astronboy

astronboy

astronboy

I have a Deuce and I am very happy with it.

This talk of upscaling has gotten me wondering.......What about a triple cluster with canted motors? (The "Triple Threat") Or a 4 motor version? ("Quadzilla")? Hmmm.... now I just may need to build all three... today, yeah today, right now even!!!

Seriously, A triple canted cluster using a bt-70, maybe with a bit of spin added in the motor cant would be cool. The Quadzilla could be a staright up BT-70 based 4 motor Deuce.

FINALLY a use for those D*$#&d BNC-70AJ nose cones!!

17. Feb 21, 2003 #17

cuttbow2

cuttbow2

cuttbow2

18. Feb 22, 2003 #18

jetra2

jetra2

jetra2

GREAT PICTURE!!!!!!!

19. Feb 23, 2003 #19

jflis

jflis

jflis

yea, that's a sweet launch shot! don't'cha wish you had about another 20 pixels on the top of that camera??? :D

20. Feb 23, 2003 #20

cuttbow2

cuttbow2

cuttbow2

Jetra2~ Thank you Sir.....

Jim~ I was disappointed not getting the whole rocket in the shot. The smoke trails came out pretty cool:cool: Next time I try this shot, I will line up with the top of the launch rack instead of with the ground. Maybe that will do the trick.

21. Feb 23, 2003 #21

jflis

jflis

jflis

oh man, i'll tell you... folks are always asking me how I get such good shots and my answer is "lots of film" (well, now the answer is "big memory card" LOL)

Plus experience. I could really *nail* a launch shot with my 35mm. Then I got my first digital and it took a few club launches to get the timing down. Next digital camera, same thing... just takes time to get used to the instrument.

it's still a great shot! It's shots like that, that show people the main attraction to the Deuce's Wild! *S*

22. Feb 27, 2003 #22

cuttbow2

cuttbow2

cuttbow2

Hey guys,Just wanted to pull this thread up. so it could be next to the other DW thread. Those of you who are interested can check out the posts here as well.

PS: There are 2 more DW threads 34 threads down.
    Hey, Is there a way to merge all four DW threads into one?