Deuces Wild construction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
The nose cone in the Deuces Wild kit is made of a very soft balsa & has a pointed, rather than a rounded tip, which appears to be somewhat fragile. Rather than using sanding sealer, I coated it with 2 coats of 20 minute finishing epoxy; letting each coat dry & sanding twice.

The finishing epoxy adds a thin, hard coat to the nose cone, making it a little less fragile. I hung the nose cone upside down by thread through the screw eye & let the epoxy drip off the tip onto a napkin. One added benefit to this was that the epoxy dried forming a small bulb of hard epoxy, covering the fragile point of the nose cone. I just left it that way. It looks kind of neat.

Maybe this weekend I'll get around to giving it a test flight.:) Jim has produced a very interesting kit.

pix! PIX! PIX!!!!

would love to see pix of what you did with the nose as well as pix of the model and launch!

u neva said u built or building r rocket without pix then again i built my tethys and i havn't got round to post the construction pix ill do that later but for now send us some pix of the duece wild i ve allways been facanated by this rocket i may even build one for my self

Sorry Rocketboy. The only cameras I own are an OM-1 & an Olympus point & shoot. When it comes to digital cameras & such, I'm pretty behind the times (heck, I haven't owned a TV in more than 10 years.)

Do a search on this forum for Deuce's Wild & check out some good construction/modification photos, if you've not already done so. I'm afraid my construction abilities don't quite match up to the abilities of some of these people.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed putting it together.

What happened to the other Deuce's Wild thread where I posted my photos?
Well I had a mishap with my DW. I remembered how some of you wanted to know how this rocket would fly with only one motor firing. So I took it upon myself to find out. It started to lean just a little,then she flew with the one motor just fine. She reached apogee arched over gracefully and came down with no parachute nose first into the ground. The problem (DHoooooo!!!!) is that I had used an old burnt motor with out plugging the hole from the burned propellant. The gases escaped out the second motor mount. She faired okay, the nosecone got pushed into the BT. Looks like a MIG. Tried to pull the NC out. No good gonna have to destroy the NC to get it out. JIM!!!!!!!! Hurry up with your parts department LOL.

Cuttbow, Could you email me the Deuce pix that you have? Would love to post them on our site. If you've mailed them to me in the past, I may have *lost* them as I had a hiccup in my mailbox and lost a lot of msg's with attachments....

[email protected]

thanx!
jim

PS: anyone else with pix too, please send them in! I'm setting up photo albums for each kit as I receive pix

jim

Back