Deuce igniter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I'm building my Deuce and just started thinking. Are the motors close enough together that the estes igniters can be twisted together? I suspect so, since no one has mentioned it.

Dick...

Absolutely, you can twist about an inch of lead together on each side. I built a clip whip for mine, then realized I didn't need it...oh well.

Pics Bro!!!

Carl

I twist mine together all the time :). I will need to make a clip whip for May 10th though, I plan to CHAD stage my Stretched DW (I plan to make little boosters, each with a fin) :D, and I am sure that the motors will be to far apart with the first stages :D.

I twisted mine also until FlyingSilver provided a cheap multi tail whip. I think I paid around $4 for one with 4 sets of clips. I've used it 3 times and it works great. Silver even put my name on it under some clear tape, so now everyone knows it's mine.
I like not twisting the ignitors, just hook'um and lite'um.

I know that its suggested that you use a 12v relay launcher to launch clusters, but will the Deuce filled with 2 x Estes igniters work on a (fresh) 9v Alcaline battery (Quest Controller). I've all but finished painting my Deuce, and am itching to launch it. I've worked out whats required for a 12v relay launcher, and am gonna build it, mostly 'cos I want to fly a Fliskits Richter Recker in the future; but I wondered if it was possible to get away with just my 9v Quest setup for my Deuce?

-Dan

I would not try it. I have not had much luch with using 9vt batteries with Estes igniters. Two igniters might be to much. If you are itchin to fly it, use a 12vt battery, and a length of speaker wire, touch the ends to the battery terminal to launch the rocket. Harder, less pratical, but it will give you your DW fix before you get your relay launcher.

Carl, thanks for the info! I figured they would reach, surely Jim wouldn't have left that out of the instructions ;) As for pics, I only have my el-cheapo camera and the Deuce is well documented. I will take some pics of the final product. Haven't decided on a paint scheme but I want to find some mini sized cards to use on the fins. Need to hit the craft store and see what they have in the way of stickers.

Doug - now that's a pic worth seeing! :D

airforce - for 2 or 3 motors twisting is just too easy. I may have to make a whip for my next try at clustering over that.

cyder - 9v batteries are only good for one MMX motor at a time...and that's only if its a fresh battery ;)

Originally posted by rstaff3
I want to find some mini sized cards to use on the fins. Need to hit the craft store and see what they have in the way of stickers.

Thats similar to what I'm doing on my Deuce. I've got a cheap pack of 1/2 sized cards, and I've 'peeled' the front of the card, from the back. I'm just trying to work out what glue to use - I'm planning on putting them on the bodytube, and then giving it an overall couple of coats with clear laquer. I'll post the pics when done (end of week - ish).

-Dan

Originally posted by cydermaster
I know that its suggested that you use a 12v relay launcher to launch clusters, but will the Deuce filled with 2 x Estes igniters work on a (fresh) 9v Alcaline battery (Quest Controller). I've all but finished painting my Deuce, and am itching to launch it. I've worked out whats required for a 12v relay launcher, and am gonna build it, mostly 'cos I want to fly a Fliskits Richter Recker in the future; but I wondered if it was possible to get away with just my 9v Quest setup for my Deuce?

-Dan

I met and launched with a prospective new retailier in my local area. He had 6V setups and had this problem (see pic attached)

You can clearly see that only one motor ignited. i had noticed this on launch and was SHOCKED to see a straight, high flight. Turns out, both motors lit. What happened (fortunately) is that after one motor lit, the ignitor in the other motor carried the clip leads up as she rose and must have ignited just as she cleared the launch rod.

I use car batteries or 12V NiMH rigs for all my launches.

jim

Jim, Just have him read the Forum for references.
Cool looking paint job.

Back